New computer up and running...

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Bought a Dell XPS desktop computer. It is finally up and running. Came with Vista 64 preloaded. I am very used to XP and using Vista will take some getting used to.

Tried to set it up with a wireless adaptor to get it up and running but found out that NO ONE had drivers for the Vista 64 system. I did find a few work arounds and tried them but it caused the ;D nuts. Ended up hard wiring it to my router. Running two computers, one with vista and one with XP.

Intention is to get all basic software loaded on Vista then when everything is loaded and updated, make an image file for future system recovery.

The Dell XPS is a rather large machine but very quied as comapred to my other computer.

Just finished loading Office 2007 on the new computer and have a few more programs to load but am going cald hunting and it will have to wait till later. ( Went out this morning for a while and wife and daughter are out shopping, so i will have to go out again for a little swining)

Ray S

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hooked up an older lady with one of those a couple weeks ago. No problems connecting through her DSL and she asked me to come by and make sure her cable setupis good when she gets it soon. Had to get the giant monitor for her as she has the blindness setting in. She wanted XP, as she had just figured it out but there's enough crossover so I got her going and that is a nice machine.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard the high-end XPS machines are really good! Vista does take some time to get used to though.
So far, I haven't had any problems with drivers on my 64-bit Toshiba... though I've stuck with the basic OEM software and it's been just fine.
Does your system not run 32-bit AND 64-bit?
That image file for backup will be a good safeguard against viruses or malicious code.
A good USB external drive and some backup software might also be a good idea as well. :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
godisnum1 said:
I heard the high-end XPS machines are really good! Vista does take some time to get used to though.
So far, I haven't had any problems with drivers on my 64-bit Toshiba... though I've stuck with the basic OEM software and it's been just fine.
Does your system not run 32-bit AND 64-bit?
That image file for backup will be a good safeguard against viruses or malicious code.
A good USB external drive and some backup software might also be a good idea as well. :)

Bran <><

Had purchased a Netgear adaptor that was suppose to run with Vista, but Vista would not recognize the drives. Had wasted a couple of days fooling around with it and decided to just plug it in the the router. Needed to get it on line and update some of the programs.

All appears to be running OK. Have external HD on old computer. New compute has two hard drives installed. I will use the second one as a storage drive. Have same set up on old computer as well as an external USB Hard drive.

Have backed up all Word and Excel files to USB Hard drive due to flaky operation of old computer. That is reason for getting the new one. I did not want to be off line if the old one went completely down. I am confident that I can get the old one humming along again, but it takes time and my wife will die from email withdrawl if we are off line too long. :o

The new computer will become the primary unit as soon as I can assimilate my wife and daughter into the Vista world. I can then take my time with the old one and do re-formats and reloads if that is what it will take. So far it has not been acting up.

Ray S

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Dell XPS, like the computer, hate the Vista.
After two months it's starting to make sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread