NEW CONTEST

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going fishing this morning

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first set of pigeon nest boxes are done.
This setup will hold 2 breeding pairs. (4 birds)
Starting second box. There will be enough nest boxes to hold 8 breeding pairs. (16 birds)

Attachments

• 20180617_120043.jpg
    20180617_120043.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180617_120635.jpg
    20180617_120635.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 34

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pigeon tastes like "Chicken":dontknow:

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first set of pigeon nest boxes are done.
This setup will hold 2 breeding pairs. (4 birds)
Starting second box. There will be enough nest boxes to hold 8 breeding pairs. (16 birds)
You can send me some photos of your finds with those....
Last

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pigeon tastes like "Chicken":dontknow:

So we have a large Hmong population here in central California and they routinely eat pigeon. A coworker made spicy pigeon over sticky rice not too long ago. It’s all dark meat, which is not my preference, but it actually wasn’t too bad. And yes, it did taste like chicken just a tad gamey though.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are pigeons that are bred specifically for Human Consumption. I believe they are called King White Homers. The Squab are what some restaurants serve up as a delicacy.
I will be breeding and flying "New York Flights."
Last

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeeeaaah, I’m fairly certain that most of the ones eaten around here are called backyard telephone line pigeons.

On a side note, not too long ago I found a bird band while out detecting. In curiosity I called a local club and spoke guy who flys pigeons to ask him about it. I actually talked with him for nearly an hour. Fascinating to hear about the sport and how far they can fly and navigate from one place to another.

Last

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one train a pigeon to fly such great distances to an exact point? It is fascinating really. You should fly one to Connecticut and let Sam know the trip is still on! LMAO
Last
There are pigeons that are bred specifically for Human Consumption. I believe they are called King White Homers. The Squab are what some restaurants serve up as a delicacy.
I will be breeding and flying "New York Flights."
Last

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one train a pigeon to fly such great distances to an exact point? It is fascinating really. You should fly one to Connecticut and let Sam know the trip is still on! LMAO
Last

The birds that fly great distances are called Homers or Racing pigeons. They are trained to fly directly home at great speeds. They are trained to do numerous things.
First,, they are put in carrier cages and transported 50 miles from the loft, and released at dawn. The distance is increased to 100 miles, then 200, gradually working up to 500 miles. Most of these lofts belong to the National Racing Pigeon Association. The birds are banded with the Association's leg band when they are 4 or 5 days olds.
The birds are trained to land on the loft platform and enter the loft through a one way bar entry door. When entered in a race, seconds are important. Birds in training will be flying with a small, lightweight capsule on their leg. On Race Day, this capsule will contain a slip of race entry paper. That paper must be removed and stamped by the loft clock. That stamp will include the time of the bird's arrival at the loft. Then all the times of each loft entry are calculated to figure out the best time and the winner.
That's the simple version. It involves a lot more than that when breeding, raising, and training racing pigeons. There are big money prizes and bragging rights, as well as entry fees. There is also a lot of betting going on. The consistent winning Homer, and it's offspring is worth upwards of $500 each if you sell them at Association Auctions.
The birds that I'll be breeding and flying are called New York Flights. Their pedigree was developed in the 1880's by New York pigeon fanciers. These are not racing pigeons but they are strong flyers. Flocks of these Flights are known to stay in flight for 2 to 3 hours at a time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread