New CRHer.. Road trip

silvereyes

Jan 7, 2011
We'll I decided to try some CRHing. Decided to go on a road trip while I waited to line up some boxes of halves. I drove 140 miles round trip , to 25 banks one day. Got 29.50 in halves and 25 ikes. Near the end of the day , I was getting some halves from a teller. She said she had 3 dollars worth. Then she said " Are you looking for silver ''. She caught me off guard. I said YES . I know I broke the first CRH rule. It was my virgin try. It won't happen again. Then she laid out 6 halves. I looked down and saw a Franklin staring up at me. I kept my cool as the teller picked up the Franklin, flipped it over and examined it for about 5 seconds. I thought, its over now. She'll take it back. Instead she shoved them towards me and I walked out. In my truck ,I had my first silver. A 1958 Franklin. I got goose bumps. I was born in the same year 1958. Out of the other 23.50 I got 4 more 40's.
Got my first box last week . Got 1 -1964 and 4 -40's. But I'll never forget my first silver.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on your first silver. I also have started CRH and thisis my first week. I have done pretty good. I have gotten 4 silver and 80 40%er's. Today was the first day that I have not found any......Matt

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
I hope you thanked her :icon_thumleft:. I had a similar scenario play out with a WL and an older teller. She didn't care about the AU she just remarked that the coin was worn and dirty. Course silver was a $12/ounce back then.

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
That is a great score, here is something that happened to me today that might inspire you. I was hitting banks in an area I usually don't go to and was striking out left and right. Then I went to one bank and the girl told me she didn't have any halves, but had an envelope of 30 old dollar coins. I collect Ikes too so I gladly took them. When she was counting them in front of me, I realized that there were some MORGAN DOLLARS mixed in with them. Of the 30 Ikes I got, there were 5 Morgans mixed in, one of which was an 1878cc. It was amazing to think that coins that were well over 100 years old were just sitting in her drawer.....

I was practically shaking when she was handing them over to me. I know this was a one in a million find, but It made my day and made me press on, I ended up getting 2 more 90% and 5 40%.

Keep it up and you will find some good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread