Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Chinese made MPX detector from Kellyco for Christmas with all the accessories that come with the package. I didn't choose it, just what my wife found at a "bargain" on the net. After working with it on 3 or 4 outings it didn't seem to be operating correctly so I contacted Kellyco and they advised me to send it back. I did and fouind out the discrimination wasn't working properly and they had no more of the MPX units in stock, ordering more from China but no time frame available. I wasn't too crazy about the thought of a Chinese made detector anyway. So, I had to choose another unit to replace it. Laura at Kellyco was very helpful and although would not recommend a specific unit, led me to the price range and features I wanted as a novice. I finally selected a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger and it is on the way. I don't know much about this particular unit except it has features similar to the MPX. For all I know it may be Chines made also! I do know the name brand "Bounty Hunter" and that lots of folks swear by them, while others cuss them and rave about other brands. I suppose it's like buying a new car, Ford vs Chevrolet vs Chrysler? It is coming with an extra 4" coil which is what I have been advised I need based on the type of detecting I plan on doing. I am looking forward to my first outing when it arrives and learining how well it works and what I find with it. Any comments, suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance, JIM

Upvote 0

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
Hi Jim; I have a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter ll and I'm well pleased with it. The trick with mine was to learn the machine and the tones it makes. For the month of Jan. I have found a total of 9 rings, 3 chains necklaces and I havn't taken the time to count the clad and copper coins, but they fill a Crown Royal bag about a quarter full. No silver yet but about a dozen wheats. I'm well pleased with mine and wouldn't give it up. l

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Jimmileo, Chevy driver here. You'll be as good as your enthusiasm and practice makes you. Practice with some good and bad targets on the ground in your yard first, use as much different stuff as you can imagine, tableware, doorknobs toilet handles and the occaisonal jewelry and coinage. Then hit the sites with the best return for your time and you'll have more fun than you thought you could! Have fun and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brandy, you sound like you hit a goldmine! My old unit had tones that were supposed to correspond to a graph to tell you what you were finding. I never could get it to correspond to the data on the graph as per instructions. Sure enough, it wsn't working properly! Will be nice to get a unit that works! I found a few coins and a silver "nugget" just by blind luck it appears! Now to get down to business. Now I get to go back over some sites I thought would be excellent but couldn't properly work with my old unit. JIM

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jimmileo, will try to check on info for your BH and will get w/you a little later. PM me w/ phone # and will call about this weekend. Jeff

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Bounty Hunter Land Tracker owner's manual on line and printed it out. Although I don't have the unit yet at least I can begin to familiarize myself with it. It's quite a bit different than my old unit and has more bells and whistles. I am looking forward to trying out the 4" coil for coinshooting at the park. The manual is written quite well and easy to understand and I think it will just take a little practice to get going full speed. The weather was beautiful yesterday and I didn't have my detector to take advantage of it. Darn! JIM

PS....If anyone else needs a Bounty Hunter manual, here's the link. www.detecting .com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread