new detector for the gal...?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok lets get some input on a new detector for my gal, at a starter level .she has gone with me handful of times now for the collective element of the forum to put forth some idea/s about a machine i should get to best suit her needs.also im well aware of the merrits of the ace 250, this model must have a pinpoint!so beside the ol ace what else you guys got in your bag o tricks thinking even a tesoro been leaning toward that as of late .still.on the fence with this one so fire away...lets hear from you tesoro folks and who ever else has a idea to put out! ;D

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most mid range machines are good, however I would choose one with a lifetime warranty an that's Tesoro or Fisher products. I've read your posts before and you seem to have experience to choose. You know that by asking us you'll get many suggestions.

Sandman

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Ive got to agree with sandman stick with the mid range detectors stay away from the cheap toys, treasure ace, bounty hunters etc. Get some thing good from the start and you wont regret it.Fisher , tesoro, minelab,
whites or dearer garret machines are all not far apart as far as performance goes. Its not usually the machine that misses the target but the person operating the machine who does. With all machines it comes down to practice, experience and learning. My preference in machines are Minelab but it depends on money I use an Explorer 2 which I think is a great machine but expensive,The Quatro is its little brotherwhich is good too. and now they have released the new Xterra50 and 30 from all reports these machines are excellent all rounders and very light to handle.One thing about these new machines is their simplicity, the Explorer and the Quatro can be a bit difficult to learn for some people.
Good luck in your detecting research and choice seeya Neilo ;D

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys i do want to steer away from the lower end "toys"thats a given! thats the tag along machine she uses i can tell she dont like it!i didnt so i know the handycaps of the low ball machines. mid range is what i was shooting for i should have been little clearer, fired this post off befroe i ran out the door for work.i was leaning toward fisher and tesoro not in any certain order due to the fact as sandman mentioned lifetime warranty.also i maybe able to get a X3 for a little more tehn what im looking to spend ($500)if the gentlemen still has it havent asked if he still has it on hand. its used but i bought my X5 from him hes a stand up guy good to deal with!even the ML X series has merrits that shouldnt be ignored.i would like her to play with me more often ::) oh by the way if you cant tell i want to play with it to!i was even thinking about a water machine from tesoro may have a couple of lakes to md this coming spring, so im torn leaning toward the sharks series by tesoro.sanman your a water hunter what you think of them i would like to steer away from the pi unit ? shark?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if you have a budget of $500 dont get a 250. i disagree about it being a "toy" but for the money you have you can do better.zeb and jake seem to like thier cibolas.maybe a fisher id excel?what type of hunting do you plan to do with it?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the water I use the Excalibur, Fisher CZ-20, and Tesoro's Tiger Shark. ?I have a hard time deceiding on which one will work on any given day. ?The Excal and Fisher are on the heavy side for using on land, but water detectors are built like tanks for a reason. ?The Tiger Shark is light weight but no pansy on strength and would do double duty as a land detector. ?However it has no pin point mode to zero down the location to a tiny spot that I think is needed with grass. ?On the other hand, I use a 18 X 3 inch Clean Sweep Coil for covering the sand very fast down to eight inches with out needing to over lap. ?With this coil, pinpointing is off one of the ends. ?I would not use the Tesoro Sand Shark on land as it is a PI machine.

Another detector option is White's Beach Hunter II. ?It is light, has three tones to id objects. ?I don't care for it for water hunting as the eight inch coil gets washed around by the waves, but it works well.

Another way to go is to use a land machine that can be hip mounted or worn on your neck while in the water. ?Just don't fall down. ?This is also lighter on the arm while on land.

HH,

Sandman

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as detecting styles mostly coin jewelry with her maybe tag along in a feild hunt when i get permission etc some good valid points made sand man hmm now im scrathing my head again.

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
dekalb33 said:
as far as detecting styles mostly coin jewelry with her maybe tag along in a feild hunt when i get permission etc some good valid points made sand man hmm now im scrathing my head again.

The Ace 250 is a great detector for coins and the pinpoint is adequate. Most of the time, I just "X" the target to locate it without using the pinpoint feature. The Ace 250 is only $199.95 at most dealers and a BEST BUY!

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prizm...easy to use, accurate, and deep....I love my Prizm III...

Congrats on having a woman that will participate in the hobby with you!! Wish mine would.

HH

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, for what it's worh i Just got my son a new whites m-6 at 700.00 it's a little more than you were going to spend but it is very easy to use and I really like the whites machines, i use an xlt. iI have also used fishers but for some reason I prefer whites. ::)

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$700 much for that much ill by a minelab.......... ::)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are talking five hundred bucks you are not talking toy Bounty Hunters either. I have a Land Ranger in that price range that has virtually all the bells and whistles. Also has 3 coils that don't eat your lunch as far as being expensive. Many, many great finds have been made with a BH. Their undeserved bad rep has to do with their $100.00 Wal-Mart specials. I still drag mine out frequently just to be current on how to operate it and have found gold and silver both with it. Take a look at the BH homesite and you will see what I mean. Monty

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Check out the Tesoros or the higher end Prizm 5, used Soverigns run for 3 or 4 hundred dollars, sometimes with a meter included... I messed around with a few Tesoros last weekend, they work well on small gold and they are light as well as being easy to ground balance and pinpoint. They use a 9 volt I think and when you break it down you can easily put in in a backpack and take it on a bicycle, plane or car. It doesn't have any digital readouts or such, just the sound... The Prizm is a little more digital and still pretty easy to use, White's has the push button display down and I think it uses a 9 volt as well. I would have a tough time deciding so best of luck!

JW

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Hey D, well about time you get her out and detecting with you on regular basis ;D. Are you looking to get her a target id, if not Id be like the others that say the cibola. I would also get her the 5 3/4 coil for it. keep us posted on you decisions
hh
dave+bobbie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread