New detector suggestions?

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get on losttreasure.com and do some field tests. Also,of course,ask people on Tnet. There are so many detectors out,I would definitely do my homework. I have a whites xlt,which is good and I got a minelab xterra 70 coming. Good luck in your choosing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What kind of detecting will you be doing?
How much is your budget?
How do you like manuals etc? (long/short learning curve)

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are asking a question that has been asked many times before and a question that is very hard to answer. Read, read and read some more. Then maybe you will have an idea of what you need. Good Luck. I myself am partial to the X-70

OP
OP
A

allsilentearth

Greenie
Mar 11, 2008
Eu_citzen said:
How much is your budget?

I would really like to do coin shooting like hitting up farms. i have about a 800 dollar budget and im sorry i dont really understand what you eman by manuals.

OP
OP
A

allsilentearth

Greenie
Mar 11, 2008
Oh yea i would like to get something that is going to take me awhile to fully understand. I was looking at somehitng like the whites DFX but it might take me some time to save up that much cash.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allsilentearth said:
Oh yea i would like to get something that is going to take me awhile to fully understand. I was looking at somehitng like the whites DFX but it might take me some time to save up that much cash.

GET THE XLT instead,save the couple hundred. It is a great coin hunting machine, easy to use. Myself I prefer the xlt over the dfx.
At this stage I have a Minelab SE and the XLT and I will find more coins with the xlt I'm happy with it's 7-9 inch depth it gets too.
Just my opinion

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
800 bucks is an awesome budget these days. Good luck with your choice.

Always used Fishers myself but like them much less because of their current owners. I'd love to go try out an F5 and you could afford one. Bob is right on with the White's XLT, it's a tried and true machine within your budget. Seen those bring home the bacon in the past.

Tesoro and Minelab would be the next two names I'd keep in mind. Would love to get the ETrac as my next primary machine but the kitchen funding committee will not authorize the expense. (waiting to see how much extra Uncle Sam gets for this year's toil)

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent buys on Kellyco.com(They have a sale,right now!) and ebay. More bang for your buck!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
How does the Tesoro Silver U-max measure up with the more expensive
target display units available? lastleg

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get on kellyco.com and look at there detectors and do a comparison on them.

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
I would take the xlt over the dfx any day, the only thing i can see where the dfx is any better
is that you can take all the claims in thier fancy advertisement and break it down to this
"IT HAs IMPROVED GUESSING CAPABILITY" they just switch the work guess to correlate :),lol....and i would say its only more right than the xlt about 5 % of the time, and it all still depends on the ground conditions of the site your on, so differetn people get slightly different results as with any machine, its still more in what you hear than what you see.
fisher f75 would be my next choice cost a bit more than the xlt though, and has a few minor manuf issues.
the tesoro's work real nice too ive been playing with a silver umax which is pretty basic but it does get good excellent depth also and it pretty damn affordable.
you can pick up a nice xlt used for 4-5 bones
youll shell out 6 or better for f75 used
im not sure what the tesoro's are going for.

Dont buy into all the posts claiming one brand is better than the rest, they all work some work better for some things and some work better for others.

Ill use the fisher the whites or the tesoro depending on what im looking for...
DTM

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
allsilentearth said:
Eu_citzen said:
How much is your budget?

I would really like to do coin shooting like hitting up farms. i have about a 800 dollar budget and im sorry i dont really understand what you eman by manuals.

I'd look for a used Explorer or a XLT, DFX. All great machines I hear, the Explorer and DFX I have hands on experience and I tell you they are good. :thumbsup:

Good luck with what ever your choice is. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions