New detector time...the more I read, the less sure I am!

The Iron Maiden

Greenie
Sep 9, 2013
North
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

Been reading here as a guest for a while; finally registered so I could post.

Have been metal detecting for a couple of years with a used Garrett GTI 2500 that is on borrowed time. It's always had strange quirks (I didn't know enough to ask the right questions when I got it), but now Treasure Talk is possessed and comes on by itself all the time, spontaneously spouting its entire vocabulary all in one go. Not so fun with headphones on.

Now that I've become well and truly addicted, I'd like to buy a new machine. There seem to be so many options, though, that I'm not sure what direction to go in. I've recently started detecting at a family property that will keep me happily occupied for years, so I want to get a metal detector that would be most ideal for that area.

The site I plan to concentrate on is a wooded area of several hundred acres that was home to a logging settlement in the late 1800's. There are multiple foundations and evidence of an old barn and a blacksmith. Relatives have lived on a different part of the same property since the '20s, and it's so well fenced off and isolated that no one is aware of it having been hunted before. As a result, it is really heavily infested with old trash - tons of small bits of wire, little scraps of metal, hundreds of nails, both square and round, etc., but all of this is at least 4 inches down after decades of leaf cover.

Even though I almost always run in all metal mode to avoid nulling, there has just seemed to be too much going on for any degree of accuracy with my current set-up (I do include the operator in that - maybe I'm doing something wrong. If it helps, I ground balance, sweep slowly, test good hits again at 90 degrees, have tried all combinations/permutations of threshold, sensitivity, etc. I've had lots of beautiful, clear belltones, free of any iron undertone, but not one of them has ever amounted to anything but....iron! I'm sure this happens regularly, but should it happen every time in an area like this?) In any case, now that the Garrett's voice has gone crazy, it's a bit of a moot point.

In terms of a buying a new metal detector (plus smaller coil), I would welcome any advice you would like to impart. I'm not asking for some fictional magic to get around the iron, and I don't want to stop looking for those relics, either, but it would be nice to have slightly better accuracy than I've been having thus far. I'm willing to put time and effort into this, so please don't hesitate to recommend something with a steep learning curve. I don't mind doing a lot of reading and trying things out - I just want to make sure that I am working with a good machine for the job. Minelab (specifically Etrac with 6x8 SEF) seems to have come up regularly in discussions about iron-rich areas, but so has Teknetics, Fisher, etc. Ultimately some of this obviously comes down to personal preference, but there's no doubt that different brands and models are geared towards specific strengths.

Thanks so much for reading, and for any suggestions you might have!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac running two tone ferrous would be my suggestion. With almost wide open screen. I've got a 6x8 sef coil that I haven't used much. The machine with stock coil is great at trash separation as it comes.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Well I moved from a Explorer SE & GTI 2500 after using those for over 5 years (mostly the Explorer) to a Tesoro Outlaw which has a 3 coil package.
Best move I ever did. Love it way better. Excellent discrimination, pinpointing and I really like it in trashy iron ground compared to my other machines.
I was really serious about my Explorer and had plans to move up to an E-Trac, but I got to use one for awhile and personal didn't really like it. Just wasn't for me.
Tried another guys Tesoro Vaquero and absolutely loved it. Did some research and thought the Outlaw was a good fit for me.
Glad I did because it is a perfect fit for me. Really great that it includes the 5.75", 8" and 12x 10" coils with their own lower shafts and coil covers for quick changing. Takes a single 9 volt battery that lasts forever. All for $550 new. The E-Trac is $1550 new. That's a $1000 more.
Tesoro is the best bang for your buck out there, plus the learning curve is all with your ears.
Never and wouldn't even consider a Tesoro until I tried it, now I can't see getting anything but.

Just read and watch as many video's on YouTube as you can on different models and see what your drawn towards.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inversely, I had Tesoros and switched to Minelabs. I'd never go back to beep & dig, thumbing disc knobs, or single tone.
(I gave my last Tesoro away)
I'd sooner use a Fisher F2, and get a three coil package for half the $ of an Outlaw. Then at least you'd have notch discrimination and four tones.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

The Tesoro Golden UMax is a 4 tone machine. One thing my Outlaw can do that neither my Explorer or GTI could do is detect small, thin gold necklaces very good.
I have tried an F4 and thought it was pretty good. Whites MXT is another good machine.

But also to consider is exactly what kind of hunting Maiden will be doing.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Golden UMax is a 4 tone machine. One thing my Outlaw can do that neither my Explorer or GTI could do is detect small, thin gold necklaces very good.
I have tried an F4 and thought it was pretty good. Whites MXT is another good machine.

But also to consider is exactly what kind of hunting Maiden will be doing.

I've seen a few post like this saying a Tesoro can do this or that that a minelab can't. One of the things a Tesoro can't do is run in zero disc and still give multitone id and visual id like an explorer or t2 or atp or f75 or a dozen others. The same tone over and over drove me nuts.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

I only compare machines that I've used enough to know how they work or owned. I'm brutally honest.
I'm very comfortable with a single tone and no visual id. I know everyone is different but it works great for me.
The noise that comes out of a T2 (duck sound) or the E-Trak (C3P0) would send me to the loony bin.

OP
OP
T

The Iron Maiden

Greenie
Sep 9, 2013
North
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - great responses from all of you!

Fletch - I am definitely intrigued by the Etrac's TTF. Happy to hear that the 6x8 may not be necessary, at least at the start. If I go with the Etrac, it would be nice not to have to dish out additional funds right away for another coil. (At this stage, I'd rather spend the extra on a better pinpointer and Andy Sabisch's book anyway.)

Ronzie - I haven't read as much about Tesoro, but I will give it and the F4 and Whites MXT a look. Thanks for all the details, and you're absolutely right about watching the vids on YouTube. I've been getting over a bad sinus thing, so have been vicariously detecting along with all kinds of nice folks the past two days. It's been a lot more entertaining and educational than TV.

Longhair - Thank you for the opposite perspective. This is why it's so hard to choose! You make a good point in general about "Beep & Dig" - it's about all I've been able to do so far, and I'm ready for another layer of info, even though it's not always accurate.

Dirtscratcher - Multitone ID or at least TTF is definitely something I want and visual ID is also probably a must for the area. I think I will often have to use zero or low disc, so this is very valuable info.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my questions. Lots of food for thought. Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. Will make a decision this weekend - very excited!

HH

OP
OP
T

The Iron Maiden

Greenie
Sep 9, 2013
North
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronzie - Do know what you mean about some of the sounds. I will admit to being intrigued by the Etrac despite its price tag, but the noise is really something to get used to after the GTI. I already know from watching the videos that my dog won't want to get within 50 feet of it if I end up with one, headphones or not!

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact is that whatever you buy, you'll go by audio first. TID varies depending on soil makeup, moisture level, depth, target orientation, etc...

For me, multi tones is just easier to hear what to ignore w/o wasting time. And when a good pitch tone pops up, it gets scrutinized for it's quality attribues, repeatability, and ID stability.....but audio always rules. If it sounds good, dig it.
Screens just provide additional information that the ultimate processor (YOU) have the option of entering into the equation as you please.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inversely, I had Tesoros and switched to Minelabs. I'd never go back to beep & dig, thumbing disc knobs, or single tone.
(I gave my last Tesoro away)
I'd sooner use a Fisher F2, and get a three coil package for half the $ of an Outlaw. Then at least you'd have notch discrimination and four tones.
I completely agree. Found over 100 coins with my F2 that I missed with my Vaquero. If you have alot of time, and have no need to ID targets, a beep & dig may be for you. Just be prepared to dig alot of trash and deep iron if you go with a Vaquero. I took my Vaquero out after using my new F2 for awhile. Put the Vaquero back in the truck after about 10 minutes of feeling deaf and blind.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all good choices, the Etrac can be run in 4 tone or two tone ferrous if one doesn't like multitones. I'd add the AT Gold or AT Pro to the equation, having iron audio gives you a different perspective than what you had with the GTI2500.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread