New detector

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have a question for you: What are you interested in finding with the metal detector in that price range? I could point the direction of a gold machine but if you are looking for silver or copper that would do you no good. I could tell about a good silver finder but if you are looking for relics that wouldn't help much either.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Sorry, I forgot to mention my interests. I am interested in jewelry, coins, and relics. I would be searching on fresh water beaches (dry sand) and in public and state parks.

I know very little about MDing, this will be my first detector. Within my price range are Minelab X-Terra 30 and Filsher 1236-X. Garrett (besides the Ace 250) are a little higher then my max of $350. Are either of the (2) that I have listed a good beginners machine? Are there others that I should consider?

I am still in the process of gathering information on these machines (within my price range) and compairing the specs. I also wanted some "real life" esperience from some of you to help guide me toward the right detector.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Some people here will tell you that an ACE 250 can give the same performance that some $350-$400 detectors can. I've never used those $350-$400 detectors so I can't verify. I can tell you this, don't aim your total budget towards a detector. You will need some money for accessories like a good digging tool or maybe more than one digging tool, which are not cheap. As an example, you might also need a pin-pointer, a good pair of gloves, some form of flashlight ( I use a headband LED light thing) if you want to hunt at night. I spent a couple hundred on my detector and am still slowly buying detecting accessories. I've even found that a knee pad for the leg you kneel on is necessary, unless you want to walk around with a wet knee when the ground is moist. Bottom line is all these little things add up to $.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Ricardo,

Thank you for your response. That is a good idea about the additional accessories.
I noticed that you have used both the Ace 250 and Bounty Hunter detectors. How would you compare those (2) detectors? Is the Ace a better machine then the Bounty Hunter?

Thanks,

Tom

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hi Tom,
The 1100 is a good little machine, but very basic and also limited in depth. I would certainly pass on it if I were you. For a few dollars more, the Discovery 2200 would probably be alot better. If you're looking to get a Bounty Hunter, I'd look at the Radio Shack ones on Ebay that sell from $50-$200 and stay away from the online Titan series. They are the same as the Discovery series with the exception of price. Is the ACE 250 a better machine? Definately. You can't really compare the two. The features on the 250 make you feel as though you have a more expensive machine. The depth is great........you'll get coins at 7+ inches for sure. I took the advise of alot of people when I asked for a recommendation on a $200'ish dollar machine...........everyone here said the 250, and it was a hell of a good buy. I think alot of people here will tell you not to bother with a $350+ Garrett and instead get the 250. My advice to you regardless is not to put your entire budget into a detector. You will want to have $30-$40 for a good digging tool. You will also want a decent set of headphones, some good gloves, perhaps a set of knee-pads, I can't go without them.......maybe a pinpointer, a utility vest to organize what you carry, maybe a pin-pointer if you find youself digging wide holes, a coil cover maybe?......a few of those items alone add up to well over $100. The detector is just one of the tools needed to get to those treasures. Here is a review I wrote on the Bounty Hunter 1100.......

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,57072.0.html

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money is not at the top of the list of reasons for me, and Im no newbie, so I feel ill advised to tell you what to do. But, here's what Im buying tomorrow:
The Fisher 1236-X2.

Now, many people will tell you to get an Ace 250 and that's hard to argue with. It's a nice little package for $200 street price. Surprising, actually. I have one.

But, in the end I forget how to DIG, with all the gawking at displays one does with metered units. Those readouts have a nasty tendency to cloud your judgement with the wrong dialogue - namely this:
"Well, the LCD says it may be a nickle, or possibly a gold ring - but the last one of those signals I dug was a pulltab. Hmmmm, I think I'll wait for another hit..."

Then along comes your partner and, you guessed it, he hits the odds that were rightly yours - and pops out a nice amethyst and gold ring. (This exact thing happened to me).

I LIKE the Ace 250. It is raelly a great value and I wouldnt fault you if you got one. But, let me just say that whatever detector you get, work hard to train your ear and your other senses when using it. Use your eyes at the end, to look at what you find.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
theres a reason so many people talk about the 250. ;) in your price range it is the best buy by far.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
dahut said:
"gawking at displays one does with metered units. Those readouts have a nasty tendency to cloud your judgement ..."

Bravo ! Too many people put too much faith in a display and not enough into digging and miss a lot of 'neat' stuff. They may not turn out to be coins, but they are neat items that don't register in the 'coin' readings of metered detectors and that just leaves all the more for me laying in the ground. You miss way too many relics and gold items depending on a meter to make the deicsion for you. Those whiz bang detectors are impressive to play with and show off, but your missing alot if you depend on it. I'll stick with my beep/dig machines even though im tempted to try the fancy display machines.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Hey there, I just sold a 1 year old e-series xlt with 2 coils and books on ebay for $450.00. I say save another $100 and get yourself a detector that will please you for a very long time.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I agree that looking at the display is distracting, so I went and purchased a used Tesoro Cibola. Wow what a machine!!!!! New thay are $340. I picked mine used for $250. Well within your budget and will serve all your hunting needs. Whatever machine you purchase remember to learn the machine well and the finds will add up!!! Good luck to you
Greg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted the Ace 250 is a nice machine, but it may not be the best choice for your area of the country due to it's lack of ground balance feature. The Tesoro line is very nice and they also have the Lifetime Warranty which the others don't.

The Fisher 1236 X2 by Fisher is a super detector and without the confusing display that Dahut mentions. Then again you have to think of what happens if you really get into the hobby, you'll need to upgrade anyway.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Thanks to ALL of you for your input!!!!! As you can tell from my original post, I am new to the hobby. Some of you mentioned "pinpointer", where can find one that is NOT a piece of junk? I see that Kellyco is offering a free one with the puchase of a machine that i s over $300. They will sell you one for about $40 with the purchase of a machine that is less then $300. Is this a decent "pinpointer"?

I'm not saying that I will purchase from Kellyco, quite frankly, I have heard mixed reviews in regards to that site, I'm just not sure which one will be worth purchasing.

Tom

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whats its worth, I never had a pinpointer when learning to detect.They are a relatively new, "must have" innovation. I still see it as more of an annoyance - another gadget to fill with batteries and to keep track of. Mine stays in the fishing vest more than it's out.

Contrary to popular "detecting wisdom", you can actually start detecting without one and do as well as you might, otherwise. You still have to create a hole or a pile of soil for it to work, so youre in it at that point, either way. I normally leave my house with three of the best pinpointers ever devised - a quality detector and two good eyes.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Thanks dahut,

I guess I won’t concern myself too much about the “pinpointer” right now. I’m just going to make the decision on what detector to get. It looks like it will be the Ace 250. I will probably wait until after the holidays to order one. I know, some of the online stores are advertising holiday specials. I contacted one of them and they said that the special would run for a while into January.

Tom

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For up to $350 I would get the Tesoro Cibola. Very Light weight, lifetime warranty, comes with a coil cover at no extra cost, more depth and sensitivity to small items than the Ace 250 but doesn't have the bells and whistles, no target ID.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
I wouldn't concern myself with a pin pointer early on either. Learning how to "X" correctly with the detector is the first step in digging smaller holes. Neverthless, a good digging tool is a must, a good set of headphones is highly recommended and there are other accessories which you might find usefull. Winter is pretty much here and a warm outfit/footwear is a must if you plan on detecting through the winter. I do and will have to order an insulated suit because I don't own one. There goes at least $50 or more dollars. See what I mean? Don't put all of your budget towards the detector because you will need some for tools and accessories. Sandman makes a really good point. Some have not had very good results with the 250 due to it's fixed ground balance in some parts of the country. If you do go with the 250, make sure you have a nice return/exchange option incase it doesn't work out for you. I had the same fear, luckily it worked in this area.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Hello tom,i just received my detector,a minelab from kellyco,let me tell you there customer service has been outstanding,once my unit arrived,it was missing a small object,they overnighted it out to me ,plus a free book,as the pin pointer they have on line it is a great pin pointer,i have a old one i bought 2 months ago wit a bounty hunter I'm trying to sell ,the pinpointer is a teknetics,cost around 50 dollars,its green an the battery cap keeps falling off,an u have to touch the object for it to detect metal,the pinpointer kellyco is selling is nice,will detect 5 inches away an u can have it on buzzer or vibrate,a pinpointer is nice to have in beach hunting,kellyco has nice deals going on at this time,i would consider buying your detector now an take advantage of the free items,merry Christmas,Ronald

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Some people here will tell you that an ACE 250 can give the same performance that some $350-$400 detectors can. I've never used those $350-$400 detectors so I can't verify. I can tell you this, don't aim your total budget towards a detector. You will need some money for accessories like a good digging tool or maybe more than one digging tool, which are not cheap. As an example, you might also need a pin-pointer, a good pair of gloves, some form of flashlight ( I use a headband LED light thing) if you want to hunt at night. I spent a couple hundred on my detector and am still slowly buying detecting accessories. I've even found that a knee pad for the leg you kneel on is necessary, unless you want to walk around with a wet knee when the ground is moist. Bottom line is all these little things add up to $.
I use a Bounty hunter Tracker IV. I like it but it doesn't have a depth meter. It's in a low price range (figure 160 retail) and has 2 other compatible coils that you can buy. As for accessories, read the thread that I started. I forget the name, but it had something to do with digging tools. There were many good suggestions on there. however, like you I was recently starting out and I would go cheap. Use a screwdriver or cheap garden trowel (again, it's in the thread). As for gloves, you can probably get a pair of garden gloves at a home improvement store (where you can get the other stuff) for, figure 5 bucks. You probably already have a flashlight, and maybe a chunk of cardboard can double as a kneepad. A pinpointer would help. I suggest that you read all the pertinent posts here, there's a lot of good ones, and chose wisely.
HH
-pather

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread