New detectorist, new detector, 1st outing.

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 :: Tesoro Compadre :: Equinox 800
After much anticipation, i got my first detector. An ace 250. Myself and another Tnet'er went out on saturday to a spot they have hunted before. I had no problems with PP'ing, we referenced many many targets with their DFX and the 250 was right on the money. I was impressed with the target ID, which was reasonably accurate to 6" of dirt. On a few occasions, I dug "pennys" at 6", and the 250 was right on, it was so dry and the ground so hard, we didn't dig much over 4". The clad was coming up pretty well for both of us.
Shortly after arriving, people were showing up in droves, so we left for a quieter spot.
We went to another spot they hunt, I stepped into the mowed field, turned my detector on and immediately got a solid "quarter" at 6" on the display and nice tone. At 5" I popped out a nice silver medallion. All in all, I'm impressed with the detector and had a great day!
Beagle

My first days clad
1stdirtfish.jpg

My first silver!
1stsilverfr.jpg

1stsilverrr.jpg

Upvote 0

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Glad you were able to pinpoint accurately that is one of the problems I have heard people have when first using the 250. Also obviously if you were getting hits at 6.0 you were doing fine! :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome to TNet and this great hobby. Congrats on your first "keeper"!!

Smiles!
BDoo

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Boobydoo said:
Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome to TNet and this great hobby. Congrats on your first "keeper"!!

Smiles!
BDoo
All that can be said!!!.....Congrat's!!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to do just fine. I had some trouble pinpointing for a while when I got my Ace 250. Best of luck to you and very nice silver medallion.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I agree the Ace 250 is a great detector and looks like you will have many hours of pleasure with it!! Congrats on the silver!

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
DFX-Gregg said:
Glad you were able to pinpoint accurately that is one of the problems I have heard people have when first using the 250. Also obviously if you were getting hits at 6.0 you were doing fine! :)

DFX-Gregg,
Thanks, I found it amazingly accurate. Of course having the DFX there, with a good operator, for immediate feedback, shortened my learning curve quite a bit. I quickly learned that anything it picks up at more than 6" is probably much larger than a coin. At those depth readings, its tone that makes up my mind, whether or not i'm digging. I can't wait for some rain to soften the ground, then ill get to learn what all those signals are at 8"...
Beagle

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
Thanks Everyone!!!
;D
Beagle

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I love turning on the machine and banging out a great find, its happened to me twice, Very Cool

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Fantastic for just getting outvand learning the machine. It will get better the longer you use it.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great first day. A lot better than a lot of people have done (including myself) - Well done

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Nice finds, great detector, too. Welcome to the cub. HH and I look forward to more great finds from you!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Nice loud consistent tone at over 8" - crushed aluminum beer can. From LOTS of experience. Why the heck can't I walk away from those signals??? :'(

Enjoy TN.

HH

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread