Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You started the "game" rounding 2nd base. Start at the beginning and drop tweaking the machine. That sounds like its your problem. Try a factory setting, use the tracking balance and go as slow as a turtle in January. If the signal repeats and is over "40", dig it. Later you'll be able to use tones if you want, but after all these years I don't need them.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the GOLD FIELD program is all metal but you can look at the VDI number, and with a little IAR you can hear the ZIP ZIP vs the broken tones. This is a good skill to learn if you want the super deep targets. Yoiu can even switch over to a pre-set program and see if you can detect it as a cross check. Usually I don't dig if I can't get it with another program, but then again, I work mostly parks. If the area is hot, DIG!!!

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the advice to just run the machine in "Fast" for several outings and after that, only tweak one setting at a time for quite a while.

When I started out with my new DĒUS, I made the mistake of loading mine up with custom programs and switching between programs throughout the days afield. That just doesn't work out well at all!

I also consider Andy's book a necessity...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also bought the book. Truth be told, I didn't understand it very well. I seem to do ok using just 4 programs and no custom programs. I MIGHT do a little better with some tweaking, but see no need at this time.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also bought the book. Truth be told, I didn't understand it very well. I seem to do ok using just 4 programs and no custom programs. I MIGHT do a little better with some tweaking, but see no need at this time.
Using fast mode and the only tweak I did was changing my 3 tones sounds to sound like my AT Pro and then just turned the tones volume to max so I can hear better what's going on. It landed me a deep hand forged ax

too_pointer

Apr 24, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett " Carrot " Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you, I would try to find some you-tube vids on your machine, and check them out. I am constantly amazed on what is on those vids. I agree with putting some coins down, ( even bury them ) if you want, and see what your machine sounds like. This is just my experience, I have trouble learning a new machine also. Wish you the best, and you will learn it, maybe not as fast as you would like. Best of luck.
too_

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember that a lot of Gary Blackwell's settings are for UK fields. I was so impressed with his videos, I copied some of his settings. I was shocked when some of them performed very poorly in my test garden or in the field.

I came to the DĒUS from the White's DFX. I studied the DFX manual, watched videos, bought the best book, and wracked my brain, and after a couple of years, I still never really felt confident in programming it. I think the DĒUS is much more user-friendly.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point on the UK videos. Their soil is vastly different from what's here with a lot of the south of England being sedimentary.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Sounds like you may not be ready for the XP Deus.. Sounds to me like you want your Deus to work like your Garrett and I don't think that will happen.
Suggest you start by using the Deus as a turn on and go detector. As you progress or get bored adjust a setting and see what happens.
Do that and you will learn.

g

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GeoW also makes a good point. It is not the same machine. If my Deus sounded like my AT Pro I had some time ago or my White's TDI I'd wrap it around a tree! Twice! It's not the same animal. It runs silently until it finds the goodies.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GeoW also makes a good point. It is not the same machine. If my Deus sounded like my AT Pro I had some time ago or my White's TDI I'd wrap it around a tree! Twice! It's not the same animal. It runs silently until it finds the goodies.
Yeah I've been messing with it. I just wanted to be able to have the tones sound like something I'm familiar with. I don't expect it to be the same. I'm starting to figure it out. Just not finding much because I've cleaned up most areas here. It is finding deeper iron stuff my AT Pro couldn't find and for some reason brass and copper that my AT Pro missed. It unfortunately loves deep tin roofing found a lot of that buried around.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you have to take the bad with the good. Forget the tones thing. You'll wind up doing what a friend of mine did and notch out silver...Its going to get small copper and brass, you know, Indian trade points, deep coins and tokens, those pesky $$$ things. The AT cannot compare to the Deus on these little items. Mine will find an 1/8" piece of a CW chain down 4-6" in Deus Fast and moving slow as a turtle!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you have to take the bad with the good. Forget the tones thing. You'll wind up doing what a friend of mine did and notch out silver...Its going to get small copper and brass, you know, Indian trade points, deep coins and tokens, those pesky $$$ things. The AT cannot compare to the Deus on these little items. Mine will find an 1/8" piece of a CW chain down 4-6" in Deus Fast and moving slow as a turtle!
What frequency should I run it on? And when you say go slow do you mean swing the coil slow or just move forward slow. Because a thing I saw in videos in fast mode you swing the coil fast and listen to what comes through then dig repeatable signals. Also I ask what frequency because I messed with fast mode settings and I don't know how to set them back to factory

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Maybe if you went to one of your troublesome sites and buried a few coins four or five inches deep in amongst the ferrous trash and try to find them with the Deus.

You would then know what a masked coin would sound like.

My want to use pennies ;)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow on both accounts. The pre programmed programs will default to original once you turn the machine off. You will eventually want to add a custom program, but not now. Give it some time. Just look at the meter to see what frequency it is in.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you went to one of your troublesome sites and buried a few coins four or five inches deep in amongst the ferrous trash and try to find them with the Deus.

You would then know what a masked coin would sound like.

My want to use pennies ;)
I like that idea. Might help my slow learner brain figure things out

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow on both accounts. The pre programmed programs will default to original once you turn the machine off. You will eventually want to add a custom program, but not now. Give it some time. Just look at the meter to see what frequency it is in.
I shall try that thank you for the help.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus Fast is an 18 kHz program, I believe that the AT Pro operates at 15 kHz. Site conditions and desired targets will determine which frequency you’ll want to use. Generally speaking, lower frequencies are ideal for locating highly conductive targets such as silver coins, higher frequencies are better suited for mid and lower conductors such as gold.

Again, I would suggest that you start your learning journey with the Deus by using Deus Fast and not changing a single thing unless you absolutely have to. Deus Fast is well suited for many different scenarios; which is why I’ll double down on my advice with regards to starting with this program and not making any changes.

Slow down and take the time to learn this detector the right way. Although I found a ton of cool stuff with the AT Pro; it was my Deus that made the really neat stuff pop out of the ground.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus Fast is an 18 kHz program, I believe that the AT Pro operates at 15 kHz. Site conditions and desired targets will determine which frequency you’ll want to use. Generally speaking, lower frequencies are ideal for locating highly conductive targets such as silver coins, higher frequencies are better suited for mid and lower conductors such as gold.

Again, I would suggest that you start your learning journey with the Deus by using Deus Fast and not changing a single thing unless you absolutely have to. Deus Fast is well suited for many different scenarios; which is why I’ll double down on my advice with regards to starting with this program and not making any changes.

Slow down and take the time to learn this detector the right way. Although I found a ton of cool stuff with the AT Pro; it was my Deus that made the really neat stuff pop out of the ground.
Thank you I appreciate the help.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound odd, but I think shorter folks (like me) may do better initially detecting. Here is the reason. If you are 6' tall versus say 5'4", like me, before I started shrinking due to age, you cover more ground per stride. That being said, if you walk at a "normal" pace, the coil will operate in a "Z" pattern. All that white space in the "Z" will not be detected. So...the fix is to take baby steps and do a pattern like this - _________. No space between the coil. Miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile. Walk with small steps and move the coil slowly. Listen for deep chirps that if you stop, will repeat themselves. I found a 17th century inch and a half long buckle down almost 11" in a pounded site doing that. And silver quarters down 10" or more, no biggie doing this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions