New digital camera-pic sizes too big...what to do?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me, for I am an idiot :D.At least when it comes to anything to do with a computer or digital cameras.I had no problems posting pics with my web cam but it is a piece of junk and everything comes out red no matter what I do.So I bought a Kodak c340 easyshare 5 megapixel digital camera along with a discovery 3300 detector for my birthday.I can get the pics from the camera to the comp. into my pictures or wherever I want.But the sizes are always too big to get onto this site.Usually they are around 300-350 kb's in size.I tried downsizing the number of megapixels to 1.1 on the camera but they are still the same size on the comp..Anybody know what i'm doing wrong? I'm trying to post my first finds with my new machine to no avail.I also have a "what is it?" to post that I can't get on here.Is there a way to resize these pics on the comp.? I'm using windows '98se (yes I know) with internet explorer browser.Any help would be appreciated.I've done it before on my old computer but I don't know how I did it.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There should be a software program that came with the camera that will allow you to compress the picture once the picture is loaded into your computer.
I've heard a lot of good things about that camera.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Wmas1960 reply # 8 covered it well here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39460.0.html

There are many free photo editors that will work for this; many on this site have recommended irfranview. Gimp is another one.

I short, you want to reduce the resolution to about 640 x 480 pixels, and save as a jpeg with moderate quality level.

Don't worry about DPI, (only matters for prints) just total pixels (e.g. 640 x 480)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
In my picture viewer, I just go to "edit" then scroll down to "resize", its that simple. But if it ain't there maybe check your software manual?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Setting your file size on the software to the smallest size is a good start.

Then, shooting on closeup mode (the flower symbol), I back off the item about 1/2, 1, or 2 feet, then EDIT by cropping to the desired smallest size around the item and that seems to get the photo under to max file size most of the time.

I haven't been successful downloading the Photo Compression Software but that seems to be the best best long term for all photos I suppose.

Good luck,
BDoo

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.I'll give it another shot when I get home tonight.I'll try Someguy's reponse first.My software doesn't have resizing in editing.If I can't figure that out then bdoo,i'll crop them down some like you suggested. I appreciate the help.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say your pictures are in your file.

#1 Highlight Pic

#2 Right Click "OPEN WITH"

a. Microsoft Photo Editor

OR

b. Paint

#3. If you chose "a" go to IMAGE - and RESIZE

& try 40% Hit
X box will pop up SAVE CHANGES YES (You may have to come back several times to get the desired size)

If you chose "b" go to IMAGE - and STRETCH/SKEW change "Horizontal" 40% and change "Vertical" 40% Hit X box will pop up SAVE CHANGES YES

NOTE : If when you clicked on "Open With" you can't find Photo editor or Paint. click choose program & see if it's there.

in Microsoft Photo Editor, You can also use Image & effects to
Sharpen your Picture Etc.
Play around with it.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use Morpheus Photo Compressor. It's a free trial download.

It's very easy to use. I import the picture, slide the button until the picture looks about the size I want, then I save it. Super easy. :) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread