141.7 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Now that looks like a double die! Leno, eh? Heheheh, nice title. Haven't heard of it, but it sure looks cool. I'd like to see one in mint state for sure..... do you know of any more?

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
So far, only one I have found....... I labled it "leno" because the face looks just like Jay Leno with the, um, large chin.

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting. Good eyeballing. Do you look for error coins regularly? I think you got a keeper for sure.

What is that Star of David mark on Thomas Jefferson's collar? It's between his pigtail and his neck.

Oh, and by the way, you did a terrific job of posting an enlargement. I wish all the close-ups were as good. Congrats all the way around.

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Thanks! Amazing what you can do with a scanner....

I thought I had a good eye... I never saw the star, but I do now.

I usually check my change for silver, error quarters and wide "AM" cents. I will glance over my pocket change with a 10x loupe before I toss it into a jar. I found this one by luck, my dad called and needed a nice 2003 P for a display of nickles he was putting together (2003 - 2006 P&D). Goes to show, you never know what you will find.... and miss.

I do occasionally gets rolls from the bank to search, but I usually get Halves. When the bank is out of halves, I will get quarters and/or nickles to go through.

This web site is so cool. I found it a few days ago, I never knew there was such a forum. It has sparked me to go out to an old homesite they bull dozed a few weeks ago near my house. I will follow up if I find anything with the MD.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Welcome to Tnet, Joe. I think you're gonna like it. ;) Take some time and visit the Mug Shots forum, kinda gives ya an idea of who (or sometimes "what", in my case) you're dealing with.... LOL!

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I scanned the MUGS before I joined, looks great. Besides, I agree, Reagan is one of best there ever was...

T

TreasureTales

nc-joe said:
Besides, I agree, Reagan is one of best there ever was...

AMEN! We could use another man like him.

So what do you think your error nickel could be worth?

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
....I don't think we'll ever find one that is half the man Reagan was!

As for the value....? I have no clue. I suppose somewhere between $.05 and $1,000,000. LOL. I guess I won't even consider selling it until I find another one. I have a 2003 nickle roll set from the mint, But they are worth $40-60 for the 2 roll set and I would hate to open them, not find another and lose $36-56 in the value of the roll set. I guess I'll keep searching my change and bank rolls.

If any of you search Nickle rolls, let me know if you find one of these. The image I posted should be large enough to easily identify a second coin. The heavy doubling of the chin if noticable even without a loupe.

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
I would love to see a better picture of this coin with the correct coloring.

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but what I see is often the result of die deterioration. They call it "die fatigue" doubling. It is very decieving. Another form of doubling that looks like this is "strike doubling". The die hops a little bit during the strike if it is loose. On nickels, it is not uncommon to see a combination of both.

Please realize that this is a preliminary judgement on my part based upon the picture. I copied the picture into one of my photo programs and I can't get it to really give me the dimension that I need to really determine anything conclusive.

It has less of the characteristics that I would want to see to call the coin a Doubled Die and More of the characteristics that lean toward die fatigue doubling or strike doubling. It makes the letters look that way.

Is there anyway to get a better picture of the coin. Een on a flatbed scanner, you should have a "twain program" that allows you to adjust the DPI of the picture. If you can, do a scan at 600 dpi and email it to me at [email protected] I will be happy tio help you determine what you have.

Thanks,
Bill

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Just sent you back a PM.... per that PM look closely at the digits in the date, the "U" in Trust and the "R" in Liberty, and compare the the 2004 Peace Medal....

I also send you an email with 3 scans, one downsized, one regular size @ 1200dpi and on that is not negative at 1200 dpi.

thanks for looking.

Of course, if it's not.... it's not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread