New England Newbie Needs advice on Best Shallow Water Detector - Thanks

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I live along the RI/Conn boarder and I want to return to the t'her hobby. I used to land hunt with a VLF, but that was 20 years ago. What I would really like to do is shallow salt water hunting (waist to neck), but I can't decide on which detector is best. I've been researching all the forums on the subject, but still can't decide. I've read that MF's are better than PI's, but PI's go deeper, also MF's have multi tones, and I like the idea of auto balance, to reduce falsing. I'm prepared to buy a dry suit for the colder water. I like the price of the Sea hunter II, I also like the Infinium LS as it is land capable also. And how about the Dual fields? are they any good? (Whites). I want to properly invest my money on the equiptment, but I read alot of horror stories about wobbly shafts, bad units from the factory, poor customer service etc. Of course finding gold is my main goal... does anyone who has had many of these machines have a true opinion. Thank you for your time in advance.

Upvote 0

jmoe

Nov 19, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Buff ,I've got 2 excals ,a seahunter mk II, and a duel field. I like them all but if I could only have 1 I would have to go with the Excal.. Just my humble opinion, good luck

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Buff if you are huntting fresh water only and shallow under 10 feet ,The AT PRO by Garrett is very good.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of guys used Excals in N.E. - alot use DF PI's - I use a cz21 and older PI -most of us clean the old junk out
up here - not much need for discrim. - plus you will lose depth and some gold
so I would say get a Dual field and dig it all
sent you a PM

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT PRO is improved now and has less issues. But I have no confidence in mine at all. I mainly hunt freshwater now and find the Fisher CZ-20 or 21 fits the bill nicely. However the Tiger Shark is about half the price. Excellent disc so you aren't digging deep holes like if you were using a PI. Pulse units find the smallest piece of metal or foil and are mainly counter productive for fresh water where a hair pin can last decades.

Attachments

• Tiger  Shark.jpg
    Tiger Shark.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 784
  • Tiger  Shark.jpg
    Tiger Shark.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 758
OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies folks. Like I mentioned, I would mostly be working Salt water beaches from the waters edge to chest high. Any comments on the Sea Hunter II ?
Thanks in advance.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring your passport with , sea hunter go's very deep , I know I own one.HAHA on the passport but it does go very deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check Kellyco

OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies folks. Think I may be going with the Infinium LS, as I may want to do some land searching also....when the beaches are crowded out.

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Excalibur ll is my choice I retired :violent1: my DF to much iron up my way, I got my share of gold and silver & digging to much with the DF :BangHead: :tard: :headbang:

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I have 2 excals and a tiger shark. Had an LS and dumped it. Excals are expensive but they soon pay for themselves... many times over. I have one of the original ones. Poor old guy is quite beat up, but it still produces. The newer one is my backup. The tiger shark rarely leaves the car.

OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think I had this hard of a time deciding when I was buying my house, or my new car many years ago. I've spent (honestly) at least 40 hours of reading reviews over the past 2 weeks all over Google. I was going to ask about the Whites Surf Pro PI today, but I just noticed a reply to this thread from BOXING63 on this subject, and he retired his PI DF, and from the posts I've seen, he knows his stuff. I do realize that the excal II is one of the top machines, but now that I'm a single parent raising my adopted 6 year old and being unemployed after the housing crash bankrupted my constuction business, I need to be careful with my money. I do want to thank everyone for their input, and I am going to upgrade to a Charter member to support this great site. Again, my main focus staring off will be SALT WATER areas from the top of the beach to about knee deep, until the summer weather allows me to enter the water without the dry suit. New England has a high amount of mineralized salt/sand from the water's edge (wet sand) and into the water. I remember when I used to go to the beach back in the early 90's with my Garrett VLF, and anywhere near the water the falsing was beyond control. Here is the direction that I am now thinking, based on budget. 1) Garrett Sea Hunter II - 2) Infinium LS (used, Ebay) - 3) Whites Surf Pro PI DF - 4) Excalibur 1000 or II (used, Ebay). A lot of my decision making is based on reviews by actual users, mount configuration, dependability and stability.
THANKS AGAIN, for taking your time and giving input.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usally buy used and have been pretty lucky. My excal was used and had a short in the headphones when I bought it . It has paid for itself and the repair several several times over. The CZ 20 and 21 are fantastic saltwater hunters also and I have seen the CZ 20 sell used under 400.00.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Excal (1993 model) is my choice. I also have a Excal 2 and an Infinium. My old Excal beats all of them.
My 2 cents worth!

OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do they call it the Ecalibur "NY" ?
Thanks friend.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They were first built by Gary Storm in New York. He went to Minelab and they bought up his Excal. Something like that! I was getting ready to open mine up and take out all O rings and lube them, and put them back in. This is #198 Excal. Sorry I forgot to shrink the pic.

Attachments

• Excal pictures 002.jpg
    Excal pictures 002.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Excal pictures 002.jpg
    Excal pictures 002.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 283
OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for clearifying that. Good to know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions