New Equinox rings up silver!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Hit 50 degrees today... ground still pretty solid beyond 5 inches... At this point the biggest difference from 10-12 years ago... is clad is no longer just laying around all over... I remember years ago after the snow melted it was everywhere...Five hunts in for the year 2 with dfx 3 with the Nox 800... and not even $10 in clad...

Back in the days of clad would easily be over $50 right now... Maybe its just the frozen ground...but I doubt it... because hardly any surface finds...

Now the good news.... the hunt itself turned from bad to good... only $1.34 in clad... but I hit my first silver with the Equinox... a 1954 Rosie reading 26/27... I had about .50 cents and had sunk in some mud... while trying to get it off my boots... I got a quarter signal.... 29/30 area... dug it.. and stayed in a very tight area making the rest of the finds before I left...

Oh and for new users... those ketchup packages are coming up 2/3...lol...

Attachments

• nox on 2 28 22 shab..jpg
    nox on 2 28 22 shab..jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 14

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate those ketchup packs! Nice finds!!

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit 50 degrees today... ground still pretty solid beyond 5 inches... At this point the biggest difference from 10-12 years ago... is clad is no longer just laying around all over... I remember years ago after the snow melted it was everywhere...Five hunts in for the year 2 with dfx 3 with the Nox 800... and not even $10 in clad...

Back in the days of clad would easily be over $50 right now... Maybe its just the frozen ground...but I doubt it... because hardly any surface finds...

Now the good news.... the hunt itself turned from bad to good... only $1.34 in clad... but I hit my first silver with the Equinox... a 1954 Rosie reading 26/27... I had about .50 cents and had sunk in some mud... while trying to get it off my boots... I got a quarter signal.... 29/30 area... dug it.. and stayed in a very tight area making the rest of the finds before I left...

Well done. I’m still trying to understand mine. I was a Garrett guy for a very long time now went to Minelab

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Well done. I’m still trying to understand mine. I was a Garrett guy for a very long time now went to Minelab
Thanks I have been getting out almost every day for two hours... this post is older as I now have around 13 hunts in with the Equinox. A couple suggestions and I am definitely no expert definitely still in learning mode...

there is a whole series of the above on you tube...

For me pinpointing and separation of targets is #1..

I am dead on with the pinpointing now... and target separation I have a little trick... I will stay out of pinpoint mode until I have the desired target pinpointed... by learning the tid.. target numbers which are not always exact you can say.. I see a 14/15 most likely trash and a 25/26 mixed in... I will pinpoint over the 25/26 as it is most likely a coin... usually a dime... THEN go into pinpoint mode with a very small movement or wiggle on the target I want to dig...

Take advantage of the utube videos... I went from scratching my head to being spot on pinpointing with the nox... Also learned the target id numbers... but also the tones now come first and I double check by looking at the numbers...

I am posting my hints and notes as I move along... I really like the Equinox now... I have changed my hunting style to very slow.... I will take maybe one spot in an area and just hunt that... I will come back and move to next spot instead of just running all over the location.... I used to grid with that little electric or phone flags and make a simple box... do not know what I did with them..lol...

If the videos do not show refresh page.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Fifty dollars in clad sounds like a sore elbow anyway..lol. Nice hunt way to persevere through the cold icy fingertips!

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Fifty dollars in clad sounds like a sore elbow anyway..lol. Nice hunt way to persevere through the cold icy fingertips!
LOL no I am not like the guys on another forum posting exaggerated numbers... there are a few claiming over $20 a hunt in clad! LOL... and all the time...not even close to believable...

I used to average around $5 a hunt in clad.. I very rarely hit any oldies but I will get out a lot... cut my hunts from 3-6 hours to 2-3... I have 15 hunts in this year with the DFX (2) and the Equinox (13), my total clad is just over $30... which is only $2 a hunt in clad... which for me stinks as I hunt modern areas... but people all using plastic cards now...

I have 4 rings 2 junk.. 2 silver...1 silver pendant... 4 wheaties and 1 silver coin... along with the $30. in clad,,, see realistic numbers... but you know the guys claiming that amount of clad each hunt with hardly anyone carrying change is amusing!

I have tendinous now in my swinging shoulder and now hunt with my left arm 90% of the time... I had foot surgery a few years ago and that is holding up pretty good... Using a harness on off arm... makes it ok...

Last edited:

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL no I am not like the guys on another forum posting exaggerated numbers... there are a few claiming over $20 a hunt in clad! LOL... and all the time...not even close to believable...

I used to average around $5 a hunt in clad.. I very rarely hit any oldies but I will get out a lot... cut my hunts from 3-6 hours to 2-3... I have 15 hunts in this year with the DFX (2) and the Equinox (13), my total clad is just over $30... which is only $2 a hunt in clad... which for me stinks as I hunt modern areas... but people all using plastic cards now...

I have 4 rings 2 junk.. 2 silver...1 silver pendant... 4 wheaties and 1 silver coin... along with the $30. in clad,,, see realistic numbers... but you know the guys claiming that amount of clad each hunt with hardly anyone carrying change is amusing!

I have tendinous now in my swinging shoulder and now hunt with my left arm 90% of the time... I had foot surgery a few years ago and that is holding up pretty good... Using a harness on off arm... makes it ok...
Ripped a tendon in mine, never healed right. Going to have to look at harnesses, thanks for the thought!

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done for both of you. It just gets better with time. Like a Fine wine.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I have been getting out almost every day for two hours... this post is older as I now have around 13 hunts in with the Equinox. A couple suggestions and I am definitely no expert definitely still in learning mode...

there is a whole series of the above on you tube...

For me pinpointing and separation of targets is #1..

I am dead on with the pinpointing now... and target separation I have a little trick... I will stay out of pinpoint mode until I have the desired target pinpointed... by learning the tid.. target numbers which are not always exact you can say.. I see a 14/15 most likely trash and a 25/26 mixed in... I will pinpoint over the 25/26 as it is most likely a coin... usually a dime... THEN go into pinpoint mode with a very small movement or wiggle on the target I want to dig...

Take advantage of the utube videos... I went from scratching my head to being spot on pinpointing with the nox... Also learned the target id numbers... but also the tones now come first and I double check by looking at the numbers...

I am posting my hints and notes as I move along... I really like the Equinox now... I have changed my hunting style to very slow.... I will take maybe one spot in an area and just hunt that... I will come back and move to next spot instead of just running all over the location.... I used to grid with that little electric or phone flags and make a simple box... do not know what I did with them..lol...

If the videos do not show refresh page.

Thanks for the you tube videos

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ripped a tendon in mine, never healed right. Going to have to look at harnesses, thanks for the thought!
this helps i can just let the detector go when i bend and dig a major plus... and adjustable... will get hot in summer ..you can always wrap something around shoulder part.. in the past I made my own harness... but at this price works great..

comes in different colors works great!

look this up on amazon under $25.

Limbsaver Comfort-Tech 24504 Metal Detector Sling, Green​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread