New etrac! Tips needed

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 (two years experience)
E-trac (currently learning)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought myself a brand new Etrac with the funds that I got from a diamond ring found with my Xterra 305. Through first testing and comparing between the two, it is just unfair. Signals that would be iffy on the 305 came clear as day with the Etrac! I feel like I can get more depth and performance out of it though. Any tips are appreciated like tuning, settings, etc. thanks!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the purchase of your new detector! It's an amazing piece of equipment, one of the best. :)

Here are a few tips to get you started...

1.) Get Andy Sabisch's book. It really is the prime resource for information on this detector. The Minelab Explorer & E-Trac Handbook

2.) Swing slow.. Just like your X-terra

3.) If it sounds good but the ID is off.. Dig. This machine is a primary audio ID detector.

4.) Learn the multi-conductive sounds... Then hunt in that mode. For really special sites come back and hunt in two tone ferrous. Both have their place.

Thats a start, I'm sure others will chime in with more great tips.

Good luck hunting!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't constantly change settings until you have read the Sabich book and understand what the changes are really doing. I would recommend using the A.S. pattern (very open) or even less. The more open the pattern, the more trash you have to listen too, but it WILL let more good coins in. Don't get hung up on the "perfect" 12 FE line. in the ground, targets will vary from that, and sometimes a lot. The deeper, the more your target numbers will bounce up and down, but they will always in the same CO area. Personally, if the FE is above the 24 line I dig it.

Put in a lot of hours and spend time digging lots of iffy targets in the beginning. Learn the language the detector is trying to talk to you.

OP
OP
Mobius1

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! If I may ask, what is the two-tone ferrous designed for? Like what will I expect to find in that mode?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all in how you want to hear the targets. Some people use it almost exclusively. Some people claim it finds more targets, but I believe that is because they are using an open screen pattern (which i use in conductive tone)

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! If I may ask, what is the two-tone ferrous designed for? Like what will I expect to find in that mode?
The two tone ferrous is especially useful in trashy areas where you might have one (or more) bad targets mask a good one. You have to swing REAL slow however to pick out the good sounds.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the best advise is trial & error. I have read the books, though the only thing that really helped me was getting out and detecting. Experience will be your guide -

Mobius - May the force be with you!!!

OP
OP
Mobius1

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I greatly appreciate the support everyone. I've ordered a Sabisch book which should come in next week. I'm heading out to my favorite and most promising 1898 park tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be walking away with a great find in my bag but it's the thrill if the hunt that gets me going. All of my settings are on a general, recommended type that I've seen most people on YouTube use and it's been working well for me.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Two tone ferrous is great for iron infested areas. It does what the name says; a low tone for iron, and a high tone for anything conductive. It will find you good targets mixed in the iron that other detectors will not hit on. I have dug silver, v nickels, and buffalo using ttf. I havent had the etrac very long either. I recommend doing a youtube search on etrac ttf or two tone ferrous and see it in action.

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time...time...time. I had mine for one year now, it wasn't til I was near 100 hours before it started to make sense. 200 hours from what in told before I'd good at it. I was always questioning everyone about it, searching threads, looking for that 1 comment that would make sense to me on how the Etrac worked. Well, it doesn't exists, time and digging is the only way to learn it.

OP
OP
Mobius1

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time...time...time. I had mine for one year now, it wasn't til I was near 100 hours before it started to make sense. 200 hours from what in told before I'd good at it. I was always questioning everyone about it, searching threads, looking for that 1 comment that would make sense to me on how the Etrac worked. Well, it doesn't exists, time and digging is the only way to learn it.
Thanks man! I have the book now but I know that it's not going to do any justice. I'll just dig all that I can and the book can help with what settings for what places

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is very true! I have seen so many people come here and start asking for help with their new E-Trac. They never want to hear "put it a factory mode and hit the tot lots to learn it's responses and pinpointing". They don't want to be told it may take 100+ hours to really start to understand it. They want to know the "magic" settings to dig deep, old coins. Those settings don't exist, you need to open that pattern WAY open and use your brain to learn what to dig. But they never want that, they wanted instant results.

Congrats to you for putting in the hours to learn one the best detectors available!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't constantly change settings until you have read the Sabich book and understand what the changes are really doing. I would recommend using the A.S. pattern (very open) or even less. The more open the pattern, the more trash you have to listen too, but it WILL let more good coins in. Don't get hung up on the "perfect" 12 FE line. in the ground, targets will vary from that, and sometimes a lot. The deeper, the more your target numbers will bounce up and down, but they will always in the same CO area. Personally, if the FE is above the 24 line I dig it.

Put in a lot of hours and spend time digging lots of iffy targets in the beginning. Learn the language the detector is trying to talk to you.

Listen to Jason! He knows his stuff! Holler if you have questions.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the TTF mode and have for 1.5 years now: works very well for me. I dig the low tones( Fe 17-27) as well and I get depth (as deep as 10 to 11"). Personally I think you should use what works best for you. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread