New farm-first hunt

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
My dad and I got a chance to hunt a new farm this morning. It was 28 degrees (we are NC so that's cold for down here). With in 5 minutes I found a 3 1/2" Guilford (?). We found a whole bunch of bases and tips. Once again everthing is Rhyolite. In the first picture, the oval piece on the left we believe to be a preform, your thoughts will be appreciated and any comments are always welcome.

Please look at photo six of a quartz piece. It is serrated on both side and sharp. Would it have been used as saw? Also, photo eight is a pic of two artifacts, the right one was found today on the new farm and the left was found on a different farm. Both are angled and look like they were drills??

We are still kind of new to hunting and only been hunting since July, so your comments help us. Thanks.....Brep

Attachments

• horner2.JPG
    horner2.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 314
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 316
  • quartz.JPG
    quartz.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 312
  • quartzsaw.JPG
    quartzsaw.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 311
  • brokeblade2.JPG
    brokeblade2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 311
  • drills.JPG
    drills.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 321
  • knife.JPG
    knife.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 311
  • tips.JPG
    tips.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 313
  • bases1.JPG
    bases1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Nice finds, not sure on the serrated one, I'm guessing it was a point of somesort. Pic eight could be perforators/drills or maybe knives with lots of use and resharpening.

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the help Doug. Your comments helps gain knowledge. Thanks..................Brep

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds brep. Is the serrated piece broken or is it made that way? My guess is it's part of a larger knife that had serrated edges.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I'm new to Indian artifacts so I'm not really sure what constitutes a great hunt but these sure looks like great finds to me. :thumbsup:

Carolina Points

Feb 27, 2008
State Line S.C/N.C
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 2
Excellent finds for you and your dad, thats a wonderful days hunt and I would say Molly hit everything on the dot. Thanks for showing, it seems everytime you go you are bringing back better artifacts each time. I really enjoy your posts seeing that the material ya'll are finding is very similar to what I find.
Thanks Clint

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks everyone!!! We were given permission by the owner's help that we could hunt the field back in Sept. but never went there because we were busy hunting another field. My dad went out in late Dec. and the owner showed up asking what he was doing on his property. My dad said he had permission from the workers. The owner stated that he never was told. The owner stated that he deer hunts in the field and that we could comeback after hunting season. So, yesterday was the first time we got a chance to hunt. We were only out there for and hour and half, so were glad that we found what we found, especially when the weather was not the best. The best thing is that it is only a mile from our house....We are going back this weekend.....Bret

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread