New field, quick hunt, nice result

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Got to check out a field I just got permission to hunt. First place I stopped, there was flint chips galore, found 3 thumb scrapers, one point on the crude side, then this. A very nice metate. It's about 10" by 8" and shows some real nice use wear. I can't wait till it warms up and the field gets worked.
DSCN2029.JPG

DSCN2028.JPG

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being a wet blanket at all- but you should explain why that's a metate so folks won't think that any flat stone might be one... !?! ;) Thanks (you know...)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Nice Metate. seems that they are harder to find around here than the mano's.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Not being a wet blanket at all- but you should explain why that's a metate so folks won't think that any flat stone might be one... !?! ;) Thanks (you know...)

Metate is what was used to grind grain on. How I know is because the material is very grainy, except where it has been used. There, it is becoming concave, or dished out and smooth.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. Most of the Metates here are broken. The others that are whole look just like flat rocks on the comp screen. In hand its a different story, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread