New find and some old ones

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
I hit a couple of spots this past Saturday and managed to find a real beauty.The material seems to be Flint Ridge Chalcedony.That's not too common where I hunt. I've only two other artifacts made of this gem material.I'm sorry I didn't get an in situ photo(I left the camera in my Wife's van). It would've made for a great before and after since it was so mud covered I thought it was brown.

4-26-08 arts 010 (760 x 570).jpg

Holding it to a light source it becomes very transluscent.

4-26-08 arts 011 (760 x 570).jpg

The basal treatment is unusual and if I had to guess I would say the point is Hopewell.This is based also on other artifacts that I've found at this site the past four years.Photo below

4-26-08 arts 012 (760 x 570).jpg

Close-up of the Hopewell artifacts also found at this site

4-26-08 arts 013 (760 x 570).jpg

Regardless of it's time period it's still just a real nifty find.I wonder if it could of been utilized as a pendant of some sort.It appears to be a little worn(almost like water-wear)on the tip and the face.The chipping on the sides and the base remain crisp however.Just a thought.

Also pictured are some pottery sherds I found the same day

4-26-08 arts 014 (760 x 570).jpg

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Where does flintridge chalcedony come from? I'm only familiar with the knife river stuff that looks almost just like that- Nice collection of stuff there!

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Cannonman17 said:
Where does flintridge chalcedony come from? I'm only familiar with the knife river stuff that looks almost just like that- Nice collection of stuff there!
Hello Cannonman,
Flint Ridge Chalcedony comes from a region near central Ohio, mostly quarried from Licking and Muskingam Counties. It is very well known here in Ohio and appreciated for it's beauty. It comes from the same area as Flint Ridge Flint which is considered by us Ohioans as extremely desirable. Regular Flint Ridge Flint can pretty much come in every color of the rainbow and can be very beautiful. Flint Ridge Chalcedony comes from the same deposit and is a milky stone that is often tinted with shades such as blue ,pink,or yellow.It appears opalescent when held to light. Most of this information I got from Robert Converse's seminal work, Ohio Flint Types. I find this to be a most helpful book, especially for an Ohio hunter.
I enjoy this website but sometimes forget how different each state's artifact collections can be. It is interestring to see what others find in their own neck of the woods.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments,
Unitas

There is also the possibility it is Knife River but I'm not familiar with it.Can it be found in Ohio collections? Where can it be found? ,U

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
unitas said:
I hit a couple of spots this past Saturday and managed to find a real beauty.The material seems to be Flint Ridge Chalcedony.That's not too common where I hunt. I've only two other artifacts made of this gem material.I'm sorry I didn't get an in situ photo(I left the camera in my Wife's van). It would've made for a great before and after since it was so mud covered I thought it was brown.

Holding it to a light source it becomes very transluscent.

The basal treatment is unusual and if I had to guess I would say the point is Hopewell.This is based also on other artifacts that I've found at this site the past four years.Photo below

Close-up of the Hopewell artifacts also found at this site

Regardless of it's time period it's still just a real nifty find.I wonder if it could of been utilized as a pendant of some sort.It appears to be a little worn(almost like water-wear)on the tip and the face.The chipping on the sides and the base remain crisp however.Just a thought.

Also pictured are some pottery sherds I found the same day
Hello,
Nice looking point.I,m not sure about material though.I thought chalcedony was more of a white color. JMO
Ohio river hunter

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
The knife river stuff has been found far and wide from the East coast to the deep south and Canada. its origin is North Dakota but the stuff is so damned workable and high quality that it was traded and/or carried long distances. It looks almost just like the stuff you have there, maybe it is, just another deposit of the same stuff- Hmm.. very cool. Anyways- the epicenter for knife river material is North and South Dakota, Minnesota, and into Canada above the Dakotas.. if you draw a bullseye that would be it and the farther away in any direction the less you find of course. I've only seen a few peices of it here in central wisconsin but I'm a fair distance away from the quarry too...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions