new find

npquilm

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
I found this in Madison County Illinois. It was found in the same gully I found the other two artifacts I posted earlier. One was a small scraper and the other a rough knife or preform. I believe this is an adena point but I have no source to identify it properly any information about this point would be appreciated. Also the name of a good book for identifying artifacts would be appreciated. This is the most intact point I have ever found so I was pretty excited when I found it. There does not seem to be any flaws in fact the edges and tip are still sharp.

Nathan

Attachments

• adena1.jpg
    adena1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 311
  • adena2.jpg
    adena2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice Finds ...Atlantis will be able to help you out more once he sees this post. Congrats and welcome to Treasurenet!

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here is a one of the better arrowhead identification books I have found. It has tons of info on points from all over the U.S. Mostly Black and white pics, a few color pics to. They do up date this book from time to time. I have the last three publications, and they are all pretty much the same.

Attachments

• 111_1176.JPG
    111_1176.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 308

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
The stems on Adena points are usually more rounded, shoulder shape and point size are correct. I would say this is an earlier piece. Definitely from the woodland period. For the record I have all these identification books too but don't let yourself get sidetracked trying to put a name on something all the time... some people become obsessed with typologies. It's easier to date a point to a time period than it is to give it a particular name (many times not always of course) There's plenty of points that are unique and easily identified as such but with a stemmed point like this... depends where in the country you live... call it one thing here and another there... some points have a lot of names...that's where it's easier to say... well I don't know about the name but... has a lot of early woodland characteristics.. :)

A

Atlantis0077

Morning NP,

Wish I could tell you exactly what you have there, but your a little north of me...lol If the point was a bit larger I would say it was a Stone Square Stem point....middle archaic...6-4 BP If I found it here I would classify it a more or less non-descript stemmed point....probably late archaic to early woodland. Nice little point to be sure. Looks like a little of the cortex (original outside of rock) left on the end of the stem. Looks as though you are on to a promising site.

Hey Undertaker...there is a 9th edition out on overstreet now....Has some really good photos as well as some new types. Noticed several in the South section anyhow. Its a very valuable reference tool as you said. Good photos, usually several within a given point type....also showing variations of each. Gives names, ages, and also cross references with similar points.

As for pricing....as I understand it the first is wholesale, the second retail...both HIGH. In reality except for the most perfect or large of points in the more rare categories, you cannot hope to sell points for the prices shown. Personally I feel that this constant ratcheting up of point value will only lead to the collapse of the market in time as antiquities laws are tightened to stop looting of sites, and as a result put an end to surface collecting as well. For now its just fun to go out and pick up the goodies and I hope the laws never change to make me and outlaw..LOL

Here's a photo of a few of last weekends lake finds....nothing spectacular, but fun to find nonetheless. The broken white one would have been a honey. :'(

Looking forward to seeing your new finds NP. Good luck in your search.

Atlantis

Attachments

• pts.jpg
    pts.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 293

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Overstreet is one of the best for identifing artifacts. Good finds and I hope you find more. P.M. me and let me know if you ever found the place I told you about.
badandy

OP
OP
npquilm

npquilm

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I didn't make it clear. The pictures are the same piece just the two sides. By the way the piece is about 1 3/8 inches long and it does have some unchipped rock on the end of the stem. That is pretty neat to get a little glimpse of what most of the rock may have looked like before the creator started working it.

Thanks,

Nathan

L

Lone Wolf

Small world!

My brother found a similar point behind Triad highschool (the old one) The base was more squared than your point. Otherwise, it's the same.

Anyway, hello from Troy!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nathan,