crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am so happy tonight as I got permission to hunt a home built in 1836. The guy is trying to sell it and is in Florida. No one lives there.Within 1 hour I had three Indians and a 1919 Wheatie. The Indians were all at 4-5 inches. The 1866 looks brand new and it's the oldest of the three. No silver, yet. What was the production dates for the Indian pennies??

UPDATE FRIDAY JULY 4TH 10PM EST. Just got back in from another hunt. 5 clad pennies, 1 1976 dime, a 1944 merc, and some kind of copper badge with an animal in a trap. Don't know what it is. Also found a ring. Has some inscription on the inside but can't read it. I broke it with the shovel diging it out at 6 inches. The merc was at 4 inches. I'll try again tomorow

UPDATED SUNDAY NIGHT AT 11 PM EST First of all Got permission from the owners daughter today to hunt, not the realtor . I got in a few hours to hunt but have a lot more ground to cover. Need help identifying the button and the chinese coin??. A few cherry wheaties and a few memorials. Back Monday afternoon to do some more. PS PICTURE is from 1907. My Grandmother (95) let me borrow this book on the rich history of this small town. Lots of pics and more good ideas of places to hunt.

Picture426.jpg

Picture422.jpg

Picture420.jpg

Picture421.jpg

Picture423.jpg

Picture424.jpg

Picture425.jpg

Picture398.jpg

Picture400.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Picture382.jpg

Picture394.jpg

Picture393.jpg

Picture397.jpg

Picture390.jpg

MG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/crazyjarhead1/Picture388.jpg[/img]

Picture386.jpg

Picture387.jpg

Picture389.jpg

Picture385.jpg

Picture396.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture392.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 0ne little, two little, three little indians . First with ACE 250 and oldest

plehbah said:
That is one beautiful penny. You really do not find them any better.

Thanks plehbah. I couldn't believe my eyes, either I just washed it off with water and used a toothbrush to clean between the date. I don't know why it has that green color but I have seen a few on here that looked the same. I don't know what they made them out of 150 years ago. I know there is more out in the front lawn. that's where I found them.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 0ne little, two little, three little indians . First with ACE 250 and oldest

Amazing! Way to go on getting permission. And finding your first IH with the 250 :thumbsup:

The soil there is very kind to those pennies, you should be able to pull some barbers or a SLQ out of there. Can't wait to see your next trip there. WTG ;D

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt

production date for indian heads,1859-1909

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mike in pa said:
production date for Indian heads,1859-1909

Thanks mike. I guess I got an early one. I'm still new at this so when I pulled this one out I was elated. I was just getting ready to call it a night, too. I had the discrimination at half and the signal was a little iffy. It wasn't a solid signal like I usually get on coins. I had the mode set in the coin mode. It bounced from 1cent to a dime. I almost didn't dig it. My larger coil seems to do better than the small one. I had the small coil on and left the large one at home. I'll see how tomorrow goes.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Not a bad one in the bunch! :thumbsup:
I wonder what you'll be thinking about when you go to sleep?

Have Fun Tomorrow!
Mike

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

if this house was built in 1836 then you have a chance (a long shot) of finding a flying eagle cent... I believe they was from 1856-1858.. Still learning myself so if I'm wrong someone please correct me...

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I got a paper from the realtor and that's what it said. I believe it to be true because my Grandmother (95) has talked about that being the oldest house in this town and perhaps the county. It sits on 45 acres most of it is leased out to farmers. I'll try to get a brochure tomorrow and make a copy and post it on her. By the way, $350,000 buys the place. I never even dreamed about being able to hunt there. Timing is everything as the housing market is slow and that's a bunch of money to lay down. It has been vacant for several years now.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Superb specimens! Those coins are in fantastic shape! I don't know about you, but I wouldn't get much sleep - my mind would be busy planning my return trip there.

Keep the finds rollin' from that yard!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kimsdad said:
Superb specimens! Those coins are in fantastic shape! I don't know about you, but I wouldn't get much sleep - my mind would be busy planning my return trip there.

Yeah, I'll be there at 6 am ready to go. I had to stop and put this in perspective. A house thats been there before the car ever came about. Before steam locomotives. 152 years, 2 life spans of the average age of a man today. :icon_sunny:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Man, that is one fine Injun you have there. I bet you can't wait to get back there. I hope you find a seated or barber! Be patient, and make sure you overlap the ground.

Good luck!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a beautiful injun' :thumbsup:

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Those Indians are in nice shape! The ground is not kind to most of them. You have some good finds there. What was the condition of the soil?

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

$195.00 !! :o Awesome ;D

Good luck tommorrow, were rooting for you!! :thumbsup:

P.S. Bring the big coil :tongue3:

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

crazyjarhead said:
kimsdad said:

Yeah, I'll be there at 6 am ready to go. I had to stop and put this in perspective. A house thats been there before the car ever came about. Before steam locomotives. 152 years, 2 life spans of the average age of a man today. :icon_sunny:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are some of the nicest looking Indians I've seen!

I truly believe you will do well out there. . . good luck on future hunts!
watercolor

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Beautiful 1866 Indian!......I hope you truly understand that you may NEVER pull out another Indian Head Cent that fine.........man, but I hope you do.......great job, just excellent!!

HH all!

Greg

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow man! Cool finds!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread