New Flea Market Acquisitions and Tray.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much hunting around here now until the river drops. Crops are all up so fields are out and my wooded Ft Ancient site looks like a jungle so I've been hitting the Flea Market. The teacher I buy from hasn't had much but I managed to pull a few decent pieces the past two weeks. Most of this is from his Grandpas collection and since they lived in Carter county Kentucky there is a lot of Carter Cave Flint. For size reference, the black Cobbs in the top right corner is 5 inches on the dot and this is a 12x18 tray. Paid $8 for that Cobbs. lol

This tray shows that if you know what to look for in your area you can find some great pieces at the Flea Market. I remember what I paid for most of these and best recollection I probably have right around $200 in all of this.

If anyone wants to see anything in the tray just ask.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    880.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    627 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    701.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    696.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    732.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores Mr. Reaper!! A lot of nice pieces there.

What’s the orange and white blunt(?) made from? Seems like an unusual material.

Also, is that a Hardin in the lower left? Seriously... a lot of nice pieces. I like those pentagonal points.

I don’t buy or sell but in this case I’ll make an exception... I’ll give you $9.00 for the Cobbs but only because I feel bad that you overpaid ::) Speaking of the Cobbs, is it Coshocton flint? I found something with a snapped base made from that or very similar material. I’ll post it sometime with my random finds. I think it’s unusual for my area.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores! Is the one in the third picture a Beaver Lake?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have that Cobb's twin, from Pickaway Co. Ohio. I'll try to post it before this thread gets too old. Nice saves from the flea market.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20180616_154817.jpg
Here is the Cobbs from Pickaway Co. Not as big as yours at 4" but I think it's pretty nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores Mr. Reaper!! A lot of nice pieces there.

What’s the orange and white blunt(?) made from? Seems like an unusual material.

Also, is that a Hardin in the lower left? Seriously... a lot of nice pieces. I like those pentagonal points.

I don’t buy or sell but in this case I’ll make an exception... I’ll give you $9.00 for the Cobbs but only because I feel bad that you overpaid ::) Speaking of the Cobbs, is it Coshocton flint? I found something with a snapped base made from that or very similar material. I’ll post it sometime with my random finds. I think it’s unusual for my area.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Thanks. The material is a deep red we find around here that is most likely Carter Cave Flint related. The white is from creek stain. He had a few more with the same staining from the creek by their house.

Not a Hardin. No grinding and the large shallow notches in my area is a Woodland type and most likely Hopewell related.

The large Cobbs in the top left is made from Kanawha Chert. The one in the bottom right right is Coshocton.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores! Is the one in the third picture a Beaver Lake?

No, we don't really find them in my area. In the 53 years I have collected here I only know of a few that could be Beaver Lakes and that's a stretch. These are an Archaic type that were probably Atl Atl Dart Points.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting and unfortunate, but also fortunate story about this Carter Cave Flint Cobbs.

When I first walked up to his tables I saw this in the tray and it was unbroken. I asked him if I could see it and he opened the tray, picked it up, and then dropped it before I ever got to touch it. I didn't know what to say. We both watched it hit and break in two as small pieces flew off. Very unfortunate for him since he said he was asking $80 for it. Very fortunate for me because I offered him $20 and he took it, but only because we could never find the missing piece. This is a very fine piece of Flint and some amazing work. I would have easily haggled him down to $65 or $70 if he hadn't broken it, especially if I bought a few more pieces. I think I still spent $45 that day and got 8 or 10 pieces.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    862.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 69
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful collection and display! :occasion14:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Steve - I occasionally hunt in your area but have never been able to find a nice pentagonal. You have a couple of nice ones in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread