New forum member - Hello fellow Washingtonians!

Billwa

Greenie
Mar 31, 2009

oldfireguy

Feb 28, 2009
Puyallup, Wash.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, 5900 & Eagle II
Re: New forum member - Hello fellow Washingtonians!

Welcome from the wet side. It was dry today. Where about on the east side?

OP
OP
B

Billwa

Greenie
Mar 31, 2009

oldfireguy said:
Welcome from the wet side. It was dry today. Where about on the east side?

Hello Fireguy, Moses Lake is the largest nearby town. I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comment about the dry side of the mountains. I came across this "Washington" forum by accident and have enjoyed reading posts about local places and issues. Got back into this hobby 9 years ago. This time around with a taste for adventure and more interesting finds. That's when I began to discover the frustrating effects of mineralization. It started with black sand. Didn't take long to discover that most of the manufacturers' claims about a detector's performance capabilities were based on average soil conditions. Thanks to multiple deluge's of Basalt and then repeated ice age floods, we have some challenging "soil" in many areas within the Columbia Plateau. The buy it and try it method is an expensive way of finding the right detectors but you sure learn a lot about detector technology along the way. The sun is shining brightly outside and this day won't be complete unless I get out there and swing a coil. H.H. Bill

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro

You didn't offend anyone. We are used to being wet over here. Most of us don't tan. We rust.....Nice to meet you. I'm sure I'll be seeing you sometime in the near future. We are supposed to get together for a hunt hopefully soon, I believe on the East side.....

OP
OP
B

Billwa

Greenie
Mar 31, 2009

Hello Paul and Tim, nice to 'meet' both of you.
In a previous post I mentioned challenging soil, when I should have said, there are many places with high levels of mineralization such as iron and alkali salts. But of course that's part of the game (except in Florida) and to me, it makes finding stuff that much more rewarding. I also feel fortunate to have the internet at our fingertips. The use of it has really contributed to my enjoyment of this hobby and it made it possible for me to get into it on my own, without ever having to leave home -except to hunt! ( I didn't know anyone else with a detector back then or any 'local' dealers) ..... Bill

oldfireguy

Feb 28, 2009
Puyallup, Wash.
Detector(s) used

No offense here. My son lives in Spokane and I have a place in Ellensburg and I can't wait for retirement to move over to the dry side.

OP
OP
B

Billwa

Greenie
Mar 31, 2009

Do you plan on living in Ellensburg after retirement or somewhere further east?

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Hey Bill, up here in Okanogan Valley. Glad to see another 'dry side' joining the group.

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 197
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 196

oldfireguy

Feb 28, 2009
Puyallup, Wash.
Detector(s) used

I have 50 acres in Ellensburg so right now that looks like the place. If we sell it we would look further east towards Spokane, Tri-cities, Walla Walla, I like all those areas.

OP
OP
B

Billwa

Greenie
Mar 31, 2009

Hi there 49er! Pleased to meet you. Glad to know there are a few of us that live on this side of the mountains too. Sounds like olfireguy might join us someday. I noticed that you mentioned using a MXT and a GMT. With them being so closely related it seems that would work out to your advantage. If so, that's a good thing, that's great! One of these days I'd like to try out the MXT (-and every other detector on the market!) I've been an Explorer guy for several years now. It's been my go to unit for coins.

krumb

Mar 3, 2005
WA

Hi from the wet side, er the west side Bill. ;D

OP
OP
B

Billwa

Greenie
Mar 31, 2009

Hi Krumb, pleased to make your aquaintance.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

How many of us besides Paul live over here on the dry side of the mountain?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread