New found hunting ground

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My planned early morning freshwater beach hunt fell through so i went with my fiancée to her aunt's house to make homemade rootbeer. I decided to ask if i could detect her yard being it was populated since early 1900's and in a rural area. Her aunt gave me some history and off i went with her son to hit the yard.

Found a clad penny and some unknowns, but her son, being a teenager, was excited with every plug. I showed him how to dig the plug and use the pinpointer. This saved me from boiling in the the 90 deg heat:) Free labor. Without any quality finds other than a 2 lb piece of lead and a toy car, we called it a day.

Got home and cleaned up, only to receive a text from my fiancée's uncle. Apparently, the teenager was telling a neighbor about his MD'ing experience and the neighbor proceeded to tell of the former land owner having a house that was tore down in the same location as the present house. This former owner used to bury cans of coins in the front yard (which i didn't have a chance to get to). They now want me to come back up to try to find these cans. Now to figure out what a can of coins sounds like.

Moral of the story: When one hunting area temporarily closes, another is just a request away.

Upvote 0

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the can is really shallow it will probably cause you to overload.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice spot i like when those new places are found new stompin grounds u never know whats there as of overload i got this out of the glossary from whites but its for all machines
Overload - Occurs when the receiver of a metal detector becomes overwhelmed due to too much signal (ground and/or target).

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice spot i like when those new places are found new stompin grounds u never know whats there as of overload i got this out of the glossary from whites but its for all machines
Overload - Occurs when the receiver of a metal detector becomes overwhelmed due to too much signal (ground and/or target).

Thanks for the definition. Think I just might get a can of veggies I have and get an idea of both the overload and what the signal will sound like with and without iron audio. Although the composition maybe different it might help.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ull know when it happens good luck

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basically your machine will make a long solid tone that almost sounds like static. You will not confuse it for any other target tone once you have heard it. It is usually very loud and annoying.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll need to come to an agreement with the neighbor as to how the potential loot will be split. Get it in writing! Set up a grid of the area so you don't miss anything. Get some samples of common cache containers such as a Mason jar with and without a metal lid, coffee can, etc, and fill them with some coins if you have some to use as a test. Use real silverware if you don't. It can be plated but you'll want that silver reading in with the container reading. In some cases, the reading won't change but in others it will. Large targets is what you're looking for so practice finding the edges of the target so you can determine size. I'd hunt in all metal and use the biggest coil I could find to get max depth.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips. Luckily the property is owned by my fiancée's aunt, not the neighbor. I will work out an agreement though because I just have a feeling they'd claim it all. Not that i'm greedy, but if i do find some of the caches, a small finders fee is not asking too much.

As for the tests, i have some mason jars and maybe a coffee can some where to use. Great idea btw! I think with the stock coil on the At Pro i can get fairly deep on a big target, though i never actually attempted to find large targets.

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds exciting! I wish ya well and keep us updated especially if you find it/them :icon_thumright:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Day Jay In NewKen,

Yours is a situation that all of us would love to be in, a true Adventure! It is these "what if's" of life that keep us going till the next one comes along our is caused by something we do.

The overload will be very loud and will startle you at first. I would Guess that anyone burying money in containers would start at possibly six to 12 inches under the top of the ground. I would think some form of glass container with a sealable lid that is likely any metal parts are now quite rusty and will give off a nice large signal area/zone. Do be careful in your digging as the glass jars themselves could be collectable. May I suggest that once the signal is obtained and pinpointed that you mark the center of the target and then probe the area with say a 1/8" diameter rod of 2' length. If the containers are glass you will be able to feel them/touch them with the rod and this will outline a safe area to dig in and not break the jar/jar's.

Best of success with this adventure and we will all be waiting impatiently to hear the tale!...................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Day Jay In NewKen,

Yours is a situation that all of us would love to be in, a true Adventure! It is these "what if's" of life that keep us going till the next one comes along our is caused by something we do.

The overload will be very loud and will startle you at first. I would Guess that anyone burying money in containers would start at possibly six to 12 inches under the top of the ground. I would think some form of glass container with a sealable lid that is likely any metal parts are now quite rusty and will give off a nice large signal area/zone. Do be careful in your digging as the glass jars themselves could be collectable. May I suggest that once the signal is obtained and pinpointed that you mark the center of the target and then probe the area with say a 1/8" diameter rod of 2' length. If the containers are glass you will be able to feel them/touch them with the rod and this will outline a safe area to dig in and not break the jar/jar's.

Best of success with this adventure and we will all be waiting impatiently to hear the tale!...................63bkpkr

Thank you very much for the advice. And a thanks to those in previous replies. I'm growing impatient myself and kinda obsessing on the possibilities. I did do additional research today and have confirm that a previous house did reside at the location. They both share the front yard, as told, so I can at least confirm that as well. The best part, if indeed buried in the front yard, it's only about 50' x 30'. The plan is to start the hunt this weekend.

I'll be sure to update this thread with my finds, if any. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread