koopac7

Jan 25, 2016
Joliet
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1138070 Ace 150 Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

I'm new to the site, and I am in Illinois in Joliet (about 45 min southwest from Chicago). I have been metal detecting and relic hunting for several years, but nothing really serious. I do it because I love the hunt, and I grew up hanging out with my grandpa who had a love of history and hunting stuff himself. I have always been a beach comber, and when hiking I love walking river beds and searching for arrowheads and Indian relics. My grandparents lived in Riverside IL which is rich in history and why the town was built, but also it is rich in Indian history. When I was a little girl, my uncle had found an Indian Head Penny across from my grandparents house along the Des Plaines river, and gave it to me to go along with my Samantha Doll (one of those American Girl Dolls). I had always been obsessed with Victorian times and even now collect certain things from that era (and some macabre as I find funerary customs quite interesting). Anyway, that coin fascinated me and from then on I wanted to be the hunter of things like that. My own parents were not into that so I never got a metal detector until I moved out of the house (married at 19 yrs old). When my hubby and I are on vacation, we usually frequent historic sites and hike. Now with two young boys the hiking is a bit shorter, so we try to find riverbeds and such for them to explore. I never found anything of value, but things I just thought were interesting - a small arrowhead, lots of coins (non that were super old), and just recently did my first pit dig in my inlaws backyard. I found a few large glass bottles intact, along with the glass insulators for old ball jars stuff like that. I have also been refining my beach combing skills and have in the past two years found some cool sharks teeth, and great little fossils and casts of shells. I am researching homestead sites here in my area so that I can find owners, get permission and actually take my own two boys on little treasure hunts. My hubby is an officer and in two weeks is heading back down to Brunswick GA. I am pulling my 8 year old out of school and while he is at the academy for a few days, me and my two boys are going back to stay in St. Augustine. I know the rules down there for metal detecting are a little crazy now, but I want to try so I have been trying to follow others tips on here to stay on the good side of the law. haha =) My boys and I are happy with sharks teeth and fossils though so we shall see! I LOVE seeing and reading what you have all found, and hopefully I will have something of value to add to the group! =) Thanks for reading my rambling! =)

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Illinois for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread