New from PA, have question about gold and fire

Demori

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I am staying in Beaver county PA. Me and a friend went up state to fish and I found what I think is gold flakes in a dried up river. Well, they passes all the tests I found on the Internet, sinks to the bottom of water, bends under my nail, isn't magnetic, my friend wants to put a flake in the flame of a lighter. What kind of reaction will that have? Will it do Anything special if it is gold?
Thanks!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably not., but is he an expert ? of course he may know something I Don't :icon_scratch:

I have seen Tom Massie from Gold Fever burn old Sluice Carpeting he found
& pan the gold out of the ashes.
so you can't destroy it

You won't get it hot enough to melt with a lighter either.
not even sure you could get it red hot with a lighter :dontknow:

gold is metal so it would react different then stone under heat but ?

perhaps he just wants to see if it burns away.
or gets hot enough to burn his finger :tongue3:

Last edited:

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick it with a needle, if it sticks its gold if it crushes its not, sounds like its gold to me

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cheap test kits are available which consist of a stone on which you scrape the sample...if it leaves a streak, you apply progressively stronger acid solutions to attempt to dissolve it away...this verifies gold and determines karat composition. Or...take it to a dealer who buys and sells, they have electronic testers which uses conductivity to determine metal type...this could work if they're big enough. Good luck, let us know if it's gold, you'll excite a lot of us Pennsylvanians.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread