New Garrett 250

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unpacked my new-ish Garrett 250 (bought from Tony in NC here in the classifieds) and headed out into the yard to try it out. I'd already watched the video online AND read the manual online before it got here. (My first real detector!)
The first thing I found was.....my NW Arkansas ground is very heavily mineralized! Like stupidly so! It's filled with "hot rocks", causing sounding pretty much continuously in all-metal mode. I had to change to coin mode and drop sensitivity to three bars to get any quiet at all.
Once I got that sorted out, I continued to hunt the yard. Soon I got my first clear coin signal, and a bit of digging produced my very first find with the Garrett: a 79 memorial penny. Later I got a strong signal that seemed to jump all over the coin spectrum. I decided to dig it. The signal was oddly moving around, and I found out why soon enough: a five inch piece of aluminum tube will do that :tard:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The Dvd tells you to start in the all metal mode. Don't do it. Use the coin mode like you found out. The jewelry and relic mode is after about 50 hours of use. Run the sensitivity no more than 4 bars to start out. Dig all repeatable beeps. Watch my video to get a jump start on pinpointing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread