New gold hunter looking for help in MA

steven332

Jul 1, 2013
millville
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi my name is Steven. Ever since i was a little kid i was obsessed with gold gems rings pirates treasure ect ect. i was recently discharged from the military and am now back home in mass. I wish to get into gold panning but dont know where to start. I have never panned for gold and could some help. Alot of help. I know there are some places in mass that offer gold but they are limited. if anyone could throw me a bone so to speak and give me some tips or publicly known places to start i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Steven.

Upvote 0

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steven and welcome to the site. You might want to try the thread below,as a starting point.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/313857-ma-vt-nh-panning.html

Yes, It seems our opportunities are a bit more limited than our left coast cousins. Use the search feature of this forum to look for other threads. Check out the Gold Prospecting forum for useful tips and info on equipment and techniques that will be helpful no matter where you are searching. You may also find posts from others nearby, offering mentoring. I noticed you didn't fill out your profile completely, more often than not a member will have their location listed in those boxes just beneath their name.

Good Luck and have fun!

OP
OP
S

steven332

Jul 1, 2013
millville
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome and i hope this helps me out, will have to look for a spot near me. forgot to fill out the profile :/

OP
OP
S

steven332

Jul 1, 2013
millville
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also i'm looking for someone to maybe do a day trip somewhere in mass. Trying to get some hands on help from someone if possible. Any day of the week is open.

GoldDoozah

Jul 21, 2013
MA
Detector(s) used
Pans and sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are a couple of threads about MA prospecting already. I hit up GrizzlyGremlin, and he showed me the ropes up in NH. He's a real cool guy and he is very knowledgeable.

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steven332,

If your looking for places to go prospecting in MA search the internet for "Massachusetts Placer Gold Locations". They are listed by the city or town. You could also buy Delos Toole"s book "Yankee Placer Gold". If you want somebody to show you hands on pm me and we will talk.

A lot of the creeks and rivers that drain the east side of the Berkshires have some amount of gold in them. Especially the ones around rte.2 towards Charlemont.

Your first step is to be able to pan down to black sands. Most of these sands are so fine that they could pass thru a window screen. Utube is a great place to learn how to pan. Once you learn how to get to the black sand stage, then you have to learn how to get the gold out of the black sands. Save all your black sands until you know how to separate the gold from them. I judge whether a stream is worth prospecting by the amount of black sands in a pan of gravel. Remember that the black sands and the gold are somewhere between the size of a grain of flour and a grain of sugar. Unless your lucky enough to find a nugget or picker.

Good Luck,

David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread