new grounds comes with little reward and lost of Q

rivernomad44

Feb 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tried a new area out today and was quite surprised will post better pics soon 002.JPG 025.JPG what do yall think of these?? 032.JPG 036.JPG 040.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 022.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    536.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start with the last one. I believe that is a flake and not a tool. However I do see some tools in the mix and maybe one triangular point. I havent yet found out the age of these type of quartz artifacts. I am still searching for the answer. What I have found out is most of the darker ones are flakes or reduction pieces. Concentrate on the white ones when you are hunting. I think the darker pieces are reduction from the mother stone. Keep the hunt alive! rock

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Couple nice triangles. The quartz piece posted first in your second group is similar to a piece I found a few weeks back. I didn't take pics of it because I knew I'd never get the picture to show what I wanted to be seen. With that said, I think it's an adze. It makes sense to me that quartz would be used for chopping and working hard wood. Nice hunt! The triangle is proof that you are hunting nice grounds.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just being sincere, but they look like normal rocks. I do not see any substantial flaking by man.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am just being sincere, but they look like normal rocks. I do not see any substantial flaking by man.

i agree dennis

except for the second image top in the middle sure looks like a triangle, and a nice one at that

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant say for sure how big the quartz stones were before they worked them into a tool. But I do know there is allot of Debitage where I find some of those scrapers made from quartz. I am thinking there was allot of waste just to make one decent artifact. And then some of them are still very crude. Most of the work was done only on the edges once they got the rite shape they needed. So there wont be much visible work shown on them. At least not from a comp view like we are seeing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rivernomad44

Feb 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks yall i have come to realize that beer not only makes your date look better but also the rocks you bring home to clean, it never fail i look at my collection from the previous day and think dang i wouldnt have even givin this one a sec to think about right now hahha but i got some better light just now and would like to show yall my little gym that i am super stocked about, 051.JPG 052.JPG better look at these whatcha think? 045.JPG 046.JPG 047.JPG 059.JPG 049.JPG 050.JPG i dont have anything made from this stone but think possibly a edgefield scraper and triangle with broke base??? 057.JPG 058.JPG http://www.google.com/search?q=edgefield+scraper&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JaY_UaD3MZP69gScr4DwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=778

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    433.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i agree dennis

except for the second image top in the middle sure looks like a triangle, and a nice one at that

Yes, that one triangle stands out! The rest looks like flakes for the most part that I can see.The very last quartz piece might be bifacial and might be a broken preform.

rivernomad, posted before I saw the new shots of the triangle. I'll bet it's translucent as well. Sweet point!

I don't believe the others are artifacts, though they may be debris from manufacturing artifacts. These are things it's natural to pick up early on, and hopefully there will be more nice points out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rivernomad44

Feb 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl thanks buddy yes it is my first translucent i set it down on tile counter after cleaning all the good ol GA red clay off and i looked back and saw the grout running straight through it, super cool but i havent figured out the translucent photography yet hahaha

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I believe they made allot of mistakes while trying to knap this type of stone. I have found many upon many half finished pieces and only a handful of finished ones compared to the broken ones. At least you have found a point in your spot. I am still looking for a point in mine. Dont give up it looks like you are getting close to the rite spot. Thanks for the update.

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of those places are just plain out reduction sites. I live on one. You find all the stuff they left behind they couldn't use. In that mess you find a lot (A LOT) of broken preforms. And since it is quartz, it is most times really hard to tell if it was part artifact or JAR. I use my preponderance of the eveidence theory. If I keep finding the same piece of quartz with the same notches, curvatures, etc. cut out the same way, then somebody was trying to to something. In the end, its just cool that they were mining there. I've found so many that were in a certain form when they broke, I can tell exactly how they went about working it to get it to something they could finish. And from all the different lithic types I find on my place, I think the site was mined for thousands of years.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting TW. When you say your place what state is that? Just to keep up with the areas that have this type of reduction. The furthest place so far I have heard of is Pa. to Ga. Along the east coast pretty much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread