New Guy - Just getting into jewelry and need scale recommendations

Mar 30, 2015
Salem County, New Jersey
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am new to TN and also new to jewelry and precious metals and have a question...what do you people use for a scale and do you take it with you when picking? The reason I ask is that I have purchased and sold some jewelry on eBay, and twice out of approximately 15 or so sales, the buyer has complained that my scale is off. I do take photos of the item on my digital scale for the listing. The scale that I have been using, I picked up from somewhere many years ago...it is an "HAD Professional Digital Jewellery Scale 100ctx0.005ct". Thanks!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a nickle weighs 5 grams . Put one on your scale an see what it says .

OP
OP
R
Mar 30, 2015
Salem County, New Jersey
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a very inexpensive scale. Thank you for the recommendation! The pieces that I have sold thus far were single/individual pieces of gold jewelry. The first complaint that I received was left in a positive feedback where the buyer said that my scale was 0.02 grams off. My second complaint occurred when the buyer said I was off on the weight and had to refund him $30 to make him happy. Could have been a scam the second time as they probably read the earlier feedback, but I am not sure.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.02 grams is NOT an accuracy someone should complain about. That's a difference of 77 cents worth of pure 24k gold. That's ridiculous.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my 2nd gram scale right now. The first one I left at a yard sale after buying some gold. Trouble is when I realized it was missing I had no idea where I left it. I follow a lot of signs on my yard sale route.

Any way here is an ebay link
gram scale | eBay

I am sure everyone will work just fine. The one I have cost $6.89 with free shipping. Never had a complaint. I put the item on the scale it will do a read out, but I wait a few seconds. Sometimes it will go up a 10th or down a 10th of a gram. (5¢ worth of silver)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a nickle on the scale and it weighed 4.15 grams. Modern nickles should weigh 5 grams?
Just weighed four nickels on my scale...3 weighed 5.0 grams, 1 weighed 4.9 grams...the 4.9 gram was a worn 1964.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a nickle on the scale and it weighed 4.15 grams. Modern nickles should weigh 5 grams?
You shouldn't be getting any complaints...you are giving them more gold than your advertising...your scale reads 4 grams when its really 5.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-549974349.jpg

I use this one. like three dollars on eBay maybe five never had any complaints with it.

OP
OP
R
Mar 30, 2015
Salem County, New Jersey
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate the input that each of you have provided me. I have a nagging feeling that I was being scammed on that second complaint, but as many of you have mentioned in other posts, I felt that keeping my eBay reputation at 100% was worth the refund to the buyer, scam or not. I will go ahead and snag one of those inexpensive scales that you three have recommended from eBay, just to alleviate my fears and apprehension with listing jewelry again on eBay. I recently purchased twenty-two 10k and 14k gemstone rings and want to get back to listing things like these again without fear and hesitation. Thanks again!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend you respond to that eBay comment and tell them the issue has been resolved so you dont have any additional issues.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you have a certified scale, you will risk these types of scenarios every time you sell something by weight.

Ask the other party how they know that their scale is accurate. What if it is their scale that is wrong?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread