waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I have owned a White's XLT for 8+ years, it is only recently that I have had the time to spend seriously using it and trying to learn more about how to use it.

I have two somewhat related issues that I need some help with.

First - when working on a steep hillside I got a strong hit indicating the target was about 3" deep. I tried going straight down, but the target kept "moving" a bit on me. Is going straight down the way to go? Or should I be digging more into the side of the hill with a horizontal hole?

Second - This is related to the above site. When I pass the detector over the target I get an extremely strong response in the 79-82 range. This would indicate to me that the target would be a dime or cent, but the signal is way to strong for a single coin. I am wondering if there might be a larger object that is deeper in the ground. Do any of you have experiences with this type of situation that you would be willing to share?

thanks

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi waseeker,

I've owned the XLT and the DFX. As for your first question, it depends on the orientation on the coil. If the coil is horizontal, dig straight down. If the coil is parallel to the mountainside, dig perpendicular to the slope of the mountainside. Always dig in the direction of the coil...perpendicular to the plane of the coil.

If you're having trouble locating a high conductivity target (high tone) then it could be a few things. It could be a large object buried deep. If could be a smaller object that you're just having trouble finding (probe can help). It could be part of an iron signal. Even if you're discriminating iron, parts of an iron target's signal can still get through and mimic a good target. Try sweeping at different angles to the target and check the surrounding area for telltale iron targets (nulling of the threshhold). It could also be a hot rock, but they generally show up in the high 90's.

Hope this helps.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TBGO. I'll give your suggestions a try. I have to be careful in that particular area because it is on a golf course and I want to leave only minimal traces that I was digging there. The area is the side of a steeply sloped tee box. It is a relatively new construction and I know that there are some big boulders beneath the ground, but no wiring or things of that nature in this particular area. I'm trying to help a fellow member locate a diamond ring she lost in that area.

The bad news is she lost it some 3 months ago and I didn't find out about it until yesterday. After that long a time, I suspect it is long gone, but maybe I'll get lucky.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK...if it's a diamond ring it is probably gold and will have a VDI of anywhere between 12 and 50...most likely around 20...like a nickel.

If it's silver then it would have a VDI between 60 and 90...usually sounds like a dime, but with a cleaner signal.

I haven't found any platinum rings before...so I can't help you there.

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this mystery is solved. used a probe to go a bit deeper than my previous attempt. Turns out one of the workers decided it was a good place to leave an empty beer can during construction of the tee. it had been flattened and the top was facing up. Well no ring, but a mystery solved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread