New guy to forums, would appreciate some info and advice on all this

Prontobosh

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings everybody. I will open by being honest and saying I don’t know much about this hobby at all, but found this site after multiple searches for “the best” forum or community concerning metal detecting and treasure hunting. After spending a few hours here trolling through the forums, I believe I have indeed come to the right spot for the best information concerning metal detecting and their enthusiasts!

I recently (well, about 8 months ago) was left a large amount of metal detecting equipment, videos, maps, etc. that I do not know what to do with as I’m not much into metal detecting, although my recently deceased grandfather definitely was. I thought about keeping it around and seeing if in years to come I have opportunity or interest to utilize any of it, but its just not looking like something I would really be doing much, if at all. As such, I’m sort of at a loss as to what I should do with all this equipment, and thought perhaps some members of this forum may be able to lend some assistance or guidance on some options that may be available to me.

I’ve done a bit of research into this equipment so I know on paper what some of this stuff is and is used for, but honestly do not have much use for it nor do I see myself being able to do much with all this in the next few years.

I’ve got a Minelab SD2200d metal detector with what I believe are 3 different “coils” for it. 2 appear to be 11” white coils and while they look similar they have different names on them. One says MONO Super Goldsearch on it, the other says SD Series Super Goldsearch on it, both from Minelab. Then there is the large dark green 18” Super Goldsearch coil from Minelab. There is what appears to be a sluice contraption from KEENE Engineering, a Minelab SD Series bag to carry everything in, headphones and assorted jacks, a 6v BB rechargeable battery and what looks like 2 different chargers, one normal and one that says 6v gel cell battery charger. There’s an assortment of pans, squeezy bottles, a large assortment of maps as well as multiple videos both instructional and of Gold Prospecting Association of America videos, and a ton of books and magazines all dealing with gold mining, panning, metal detecting, and a bunch of Gold Prospecting magazines. I also have an assortment of things like shovels, wet weather gear, boots, bags, etc. From what I have gathered, everything someone could want to do metal detecting or gold prospecting I have here, so this is like a complete package thing.

I don’t know what I should do with this. I live in Kansas and have looked around but there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of business that deal in this type of stuff so I would appreciate any directions or advice from seasoned members as to what I should do. Would this type of equipment be better sold on something like Craigslist or auctioned off on Ebay, or would it be more adviseable to become a full fledged charter member here and pass it along to an enthusiast that would use it or appreciate it or perhaps be a step up from what they currently have?

I’m no noob to forums and random noobs joining just looking to sell things, so I understand the thought process there, but given the nature of this equipment I just wanted to go to the experts, the best people around in this industry to see what would be recommended for me to do. This guy Larry at Big Valley Metal Detectors chatted with me for about 20mins about all this and informed me the green colored metal detectors were a bit more sought after than the blue versions due to the true analog nature of this equipment compared to that of later models, at the end he even recommended I come here as well, so figured this was the best option available to me currently.

Thank you very much for your time in this, and I appreciate any type of input I can receive about the course of action I should take to part with this stuff, as it’s just been sitting in my garage for months and will more than likely just continue collecting dust for years. Everything works as far as I can tell from what testing and hooking up I’ve done with it in the backyard and living room. Please experts, lend me some guidance! Thanks!

--Steve Fletcher, Kansas noob

IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1356.JPG IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1353.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1361.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Charter members can sell here. Since you included pictures it appears the possible intent is to sell...

You will do far better selling on EBay or a forum than on Craigslist..

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to treasureNet Steve I can see 2 choices at this point.
Sell it on Ebay.

Or become a charter member and sell it here.

I'm sure our members can help you pricing if you need it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
other option just came to mind.
Here are the Experts on Value
Supporting Vendors

Send some of them a PM to look at this thread.

perhaps one would be willing to take it on consignment and sell it for you.

Big Boy Hobbies
Fort Bedford
Metal Detecting Stuff
Vance's
maybe even Kellyco

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Prontobosh

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff and Treasure Hunter for the quick reply! It is very much appreciated, as is the link to the supporting vendors, that indeed helps a bunch as I know this current model metal detector is no longer in production and so finding decent retail information about it and stuff has been sketchy at best.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff and Treasure Hunter for the quick reply! It is very much appreciated, as is the link to the supporting vendors, that indeed helps a bunch as I know this current model metal detector is no longer in production and so finding decent retail information about it and stuff has been sketchy at best.

if it's in working order there is no Doubt in my Mind you have a
few Thousand dollars worth of equipment there.
I don't like throwing numbers out without reseach
but a "Few" Thousand for all may be cheap.

May be a bit more then a few & more like several Thousand :dontknow:

by the way a " few " to me is 3'ish.

"Several" is a bit more :tongue3:

OP
OP
P

Prontobosh

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about what was told to me in the will when I received all this and goes along with what I can remember my grandfather saying about it, as well as what the gentleman Larry relayed to me, so again, thank you so much for your insight!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread