New guy with questions (imagine that)

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had an interest in rocks and oddities in general and have picked up a few artifacts and possible artifacts over the years. All from one field in central Ky. Thought I would ask the opinion of the more knowledgeable on some of these. If I can figure out how to post pictures. How bout the triangular shaped smooth black stone? Found in plowed field. Very smooth and symmetrical.
View attachment 1601020 View attachment 1601020

Upvote 0

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net............................................:icon_thumright:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Oklahoma. I am an old guy with questions. But this is a great place for them. Someone is knowledgeable in stones and artifacts

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, welcome. You described your featured item well. It is a triangular shaped smooth black stone.

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Natural, but I would like to see the rest of your collection.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses guys. The wiki article makes sense. It was the feel of it that attracted me. Smooth may have been an understatement, it is slick feeling which led me to believe it was more than erosion by water. Ok,I have more. Should I start a new thread or continue to add pictures to this one? Thanks.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I like odd/different rocks so I will ask you guys about a couple more. Center, top, was found in field. Best I can describe it would be pine cone like. I could show other angles but except for the overall shape there is no difference. I can think of nothing I have seen online that would make me think it is Native American but it was found in the same place several other items were found. My photo skills are lacking also.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one. The one with holes?

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the little red and white ones. Highly polished.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one. The one with holes?
The rock with the holes is a fossil, either some type of coral or possibly a croinid head. If yo post it in the fossil forum, you may get an exact identification.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool but not worth the trouble. If it really bothers you shoot me a message.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the clarification. These were just unusual for these parts and since they were found in the same fields that have produced a few Native American artifacts, I assumed it would be alright to get you guys expertise. Thanks again.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with IAMZIM on the fossil, the points are really awesome too. I find similar smooth rocks that I always bring back even though I'm pretty sure they are just rocks so if they please you, keep them.

OP
OP
U

Unit70

Jun 11, 2018
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with IAMZIM on the fossil, the points are really awesome too. I find similar smooth rocks that I always bring back even though I'm pretty sure they are just rocks so if they please you, keep them.

NcPeaches as I prefaced this topic, I am not a collector of specific items, I just like rocks in general.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions