New Guy

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone, nice forum! I love the pictures of what people have found!

Had an old White coin something MD. about ten years ago (it was old then). Only had it a couple of months, I let a friend use to to find some water lines around his house, and it was lost when his shed burt down.
I just never replaced it. Been looking at doing some hunting again, I think I would really like some kind of unit with "target ID" and tell me something about depth...

Mostly just looking for coins. I have several old house locations available to me, and at least one old Church.

I'm looking at a Garrett Ace 250, it seems to get pretty good reviews by everyone that owns one?
And I have a dealer close to me.

Is there another unit I should take a look at in the same price range?

Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Welcome to the forum seagullplayer,
Take a look at the Fisher F2, same price range and you get an extra 4" coil with the lower rod. TID and a depth meter. My Son got one as a gift. I've used it a lot and I really like it.
Good Luck,
Glenn

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

You are lucky to have a dealer near you so you can look and feel them to decide which one feels right for you. Listen to your dealer as he knows what works well in your area and can offer great advice. If he has what you like, buy from him. This way you will get to carry it home and not guess if UPS dropped it like so many here have reported. Also if you buy it else where, don't plan on taking it back to your dealer and asking him how to adjust it. That is just being less than not polite.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I strongly reccomend the Minelab Exterra 30 if you can afford it. Great starter machine.

Tesoro also makes a great machine. I love my Deleon.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Welcome to the forum.

You are lucky to have a dealer near you so you can look and feel them to decide which one feels right for you. Listen to your dealer as he knows what works well in your area and can offer great advice. If he has what you like, buy from him. This way you will get to carry it home and not guess if UPS dropped it like so many here have reported. Also if you buy it else where, don't plan on taking it back to your dealer and asking him how to adjust it. That is just being less than not polite.

Sandman is right, buying from a local dealer is a good way to go. You'll get more for your money with all the advice they can give you.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes... the dealer is the best way to go. You get to try and compare before you buy. Lower price does not neccessarily mean lower quality. TTC

OP
OP
seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked the Ace up on the way home from work last night! I really have a great local dealer, he was very helpful, I could have set and talked with him and his wife for hours. He showed me the ropes of the unit and gave me a few pointers, including how to point with the machine.

He had a Fisher F2 but the price was a lot higher, he doesn’t carry the Minelab line, but from what I saw it is about 2x the price. A little above what I wanted to spend.
I really wanted to buy from a local dealer, I like having a person to deal with.

I got to spend about 15 minutes with it in the yard last night, found a quarter and a dime and several pieces of junk. The Ace correctly indicated both the dime and the quarter! I am very excited about that!

I have three old houses lined up to hunt, I can’t wait!

I had a wedding rehearsal last night and the wedding is tonight (best man) so serious hunting will have to wait till Saturday…

Thanks for the help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread