New Half dollar roll searcher . Is the what most peaple find?

chevrolet454ss

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
Last year I started reading your website and read about guys Like txtim pulling tons stuff, Other guys like Houston the man From the great state of Tennises building all those sets and pulling thousands of silver coins from bank boxs. Jewler dave showing check for over 3000 dollars for selling is 40 pounds worth silver coins. I am amazed what you guys are doing and dont know what to say. I cant believe it and I thought all silver coins were pulled in 1970 something.

I started collecting coins last year. I fill like I was riped off buying that junk coin dealers sell for inflated prices. I called one dealer he wanted pay an small fraction of what I spent on my collection. I gave up and just started roll searching becides buying the dealers inflated junk. So that what I did. I went thru maybe 10k worth coins last year to finish sets. My sets are not finished yet.

I just bought 5000 dollars worth Half dollar boxs to try build an 1964 thru 2007 set. It was my first time to buy an large amount of like that. It killed my Back trying move all those heavy boxs of half dollars and caused my air ride light to come on my car since it very heavy. I feel sore from going thru all heavy boxs. My bank teller thought I was nuts for asking for 5000 dollars worth half dollars. She told me she never seen another person buy that many at one time. She worked at same bank for over 10 years. I tryed last year all year long from my other bank to buy halfs but they would never buy them for me. Lots rude or stupid tellers intill I found this bank that ordored my 10 boxs for me. I got them after finding an new bank after looking an long time.

This what I found after going thru my 10 boxes . The first 7 boxes had no silver and lots them was hand wraped and coins were defaced with markers. No boxes were like they were machice wraped or factory sealed boxes. Some had Bricks on wrappers. Could they x-rayed it each roll before they opened it find silver coins or something ? I did find proof coins and some 2002 up coins in there but no silver . They must have run the roll thru machice or silver finder . Opened up roll pulled silver and hand wraped it. Put in back in box. It looked an large mix of hand wraps and machice wraps in those first 7 boxs. Strange box on the first 7. Do they have silver detector machices or x ray machices to find silver coins without opening rolls ?

The last 3 boxs were flat boxs with N.f string and son machice wraped coins. No marking on or dates on boxs like on Fedboxs of nickels or pennys. Are these Federal goverment boxs? No cwi or anything on them. The last 3 boxs I pulled 22 silver coins totol . 3 were 1964 , rest were 65 thru 69 silver coins. Nothing older than 1964 in them. Not much of anything after going thru 10000 coins or 5000 dollars face. I did find maybe 10 2002 thru 2007 coins totol, aslong with maybe 5 or 10 proofs. Tons and tons Of bu or unc 1971 thru 2001 coins I cherry picked to fill my book with them.

Is the normal ? Reason I ask is I am thinking about cashing this in buying another 10 boxs to try finish my book. I almost hurt my self moving all those heavy boxs.

Chevrolet454ss

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chevrolet454ss said:
Do they have silver detector machices or x ray machices to find silver coinswithout opening rolls ?

If they do, I sure would like one!

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I think you might have found someones dump bank. It is possible that the bank had a lazy vault teller who didn't want to send in the customer returns but I could be wrong. Can you post a pic of the marks?

65GT350

OP
OP
C

chevrolet454ss

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
Gt350,

The bank I bought this from must had an lazy trucking or cash service company. They did not have them in stock. I put the ordor in last week and they came this wedesday afternoon. I finished them last night. I think they told me came from Loomis cash services company. Loomis bought them someplace or must have cleaned out an another persons dump bank somplace to get them.

It got me why they sent me 7 boxs full handwraped or unsealed old boxes they reused. None of boxes were sealed or even taped shut . One intire box was full of hand wraped rolls. The rest were an mix of hand wraped of Brink wraped rolls.

The 7 boxs had packing slips plastic covers on them without any slips on them. They were cut open and if they had an packing list it was gone already.

Are all Loomis company boxs like this ?

Chevrolet454ss

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Sorry about that bad luck - I would not accept boxes that weren't sealed. Someone presearched them - did you find any short rolls?

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
chevrolet454ss said:
Gt350,

The bank I bought this from must had an lazy trucking or cash service company. They did not have them in stock. I put the ordor in last week and they came this wedesday afternoon. I finished them last night. I think they told me came from Loomis cash services company. Loomis bought them someplace or must have cleaned out an another persons dump bank somplace to get them.

It got me why they sent me 7 boxs full handwraped or unsealed old boxes they reused. None of boxes were sealed or even taped shut . One intire box was full of hand wraped rolls. The rest were an mix of hand wraped of Brink wraped rolls.

The 7 boxs had packing slips plastic covers on them without any slips on them. They were cut open and if they had an packing list it was gone already.

Are all Loomis company boxs like this ?

Chevrolet454ss

It has been a while since I got Loomis boxes but when I used to get them they were always taped shut and 5x5x2 boxes. Every now and then I would get a box that looked like it was returned from a branch. In fact sometimes I would get boxes that had the reverse of the 76 half on each roll showing. I even got a box that was made up of the hand rolls you are talking about. Good luck on your next order. It sounds like you got all the problem boxes out of the way.

HH
65GT350

OP
OP
C

chevrolet454ss

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
Txtim,

I was in hurry and think all rolls were fine and not short. I was in hurry at bank and did not think about checking for sealed boxs since I never seen this before intill I started opening them at home. All my penny , nickel , Dime , Boxs I ever bought were Federal Reserve boxs that were sealed already. They all had dates when inspected or cwi on box. These boxs had no dates or cwi or anything on them. Something I never seen or unless I buy those Brinks or clear plastic tubes boxs of pennys from another bank I deal with that gets all coins from cash service companys and not feds.

Chevrolet454ss

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia
chevrolet454ss said:
Do they have silver detector machices or x ray machices to find silver coins without opening rolls ?

i think jewelerdave uses a scale to weigh the rolls instead of opening them. the ones with silver in them weigh different than the all clad rolls.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chevrolet454ss said:
Loomis bought them someplace or must have cleaned out an another persons dump bank somplace to get them.

Man the same thing happened to me last week. I ordered $1000 in halves and went to pick them up and they were just like yours! One box hand rolled and the other box was taped up so much the teller couldn't open it. When I got it home and cut the box open they LOOKED like machine rolled halves but they were all searched through and put back in the machine rolls! When I picked them up I asked where she got them, she mumbled something like Coin Counters Warehouse. The teller now claims they were from Brinks, she knows I'm upset about it. I ordered another $1000..... let's see what happens. You wouldn't happen to be in NY state would you?

engine 823

Dec 27, 2007
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
>:(
I've found those stupid rolls that look machine rolled but their open on one end and have been gone through. Really ticks me off to see the teller hand me those too. I live in kentucky!

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
engine 823 said:
>:(
I've found those stupid rolls that look machine rolled but their open on one end and have been gone through. Really ticks me off to see the teller hand me those too. I live in kentucky!

I just got two bags of $500 that were like that. I thought it was strange to get machine rolls in a bag. Once I got home, I realized they were already searched. I still pulled a few proofs and 1 87D. The person before me was probably just rim searching for silver. That is why I still search them anyway.

You should try to take them to another bank that has a machine. Then you won't get the same boxes back later.

HH
Hoose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread