New here and have a few ?s

Meadowlands

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2007
New here and have a few ?'s

Hi all! I'm new here and am from Northern NJ. I am about to start treasure hunting with the wife and I have a few questions:

- Where can I buy a rock hammer and some sifting screens for a decent price?

- We are planning to take a trip to the Spectrum Sunstone mine in OR and wanted to know if anyone had any experience going there

- Are there any places in North Jersey to look for nice stones (mines etc)

Thanks all!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: New here and have a few ?'s

Welcome to T-Net

Sounds like you've been watching Cash and Treasures on the travel channel.

I know Sears carries rock hammers but I'm sure Home Depot also does and they would have all the materials to make a nice sifter yourself.

As far as mines in NJ open to the public I'm only aware of this one:

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/cash-treasures/toolkit/fluorescent.html

Good Luck

NJ

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Meadowlands said:
Hi all! I'm new here and am from Northern NJ. I am about to start treasure hunting with the wife and I have a few questions:

- Where can I buy a rock hammer and some sifting screens for a decent price?

- We are planning to take a trip to the Spectrum Sunstone mine in OR and wanted to know if anyone had any experience going there

- Are there any places in North Jersey to look for nice stones (mines etc)

Thanks all!!

You can get a rockhammer and screens at pretty much any rockshop out here in the west. I dunno about Jersey, though.

We make our own screens for sunstones, the round ones are really too small for sifting large amounts of dirt. 2 ft.X 3ft rectangle out of 1x4 boards, covered with 1/4 inch screen and stood up on an angle with 2 legs. You can shovel into it and the larger stones just run down the front, while the smaller stones and dirt pass right through. I think the sunstone mines provide power screens though.

Talk to Cyn, she's been going out a few times here lately.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,86228.0.html

Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Geopicks and geohammers should be available at any good hardware store that sells tools.
Ask for a masons hammer, That should do it . Cheeper than a specialty hammer and for some strange reason .... they look a lot alike. Try the eastwing ... thats the one my wife likes.

The sifting screens should be made from a varying set of different welded wire screens,
These will graduate from large to very small.

Happy hunting
OD

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Meadowlands

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks all, I'll take a look around this week (probably lowes) and see if I can find some hammers. I may be taking a trip out to the spectrum mines this late summer (wife LOVES stones :D) and get our hands dirty. In the meantime, I wanted to practice our skills locally and see about getting a starter MD as well. Right now I just picked up a GPS so we do not get lost on our adventures ;D

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Glad to have you with us, Meadowlands! If you haven't checked it out already, this book might be worth a look:
NJ.jpg
http://www.blackcatmining.com/book-map/gem-trails-pa-nj.cfm

Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome, Meadowlands,

HH, Fossis................

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

You will have a great time! We have gone to Dust Devil, never over to Spectrum Mines when we were out there and we have found some nice stones and always had a great time. Dust Devil has screens there that you can use free of charge if you don't get any made before you leave. Either mine would be a great trip for you I am sure. Make sure and send us a note when you are going just in case any of us are down there at the same time. I know David and I go frequently! Take lots and lots of pictures!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Welcome!

masons hammers are great cheap tools that you can run to the ground, if you want...
But if you wan't expensive equipment:
http://www.minerant.org/dealersEQ.html
They have a list of different dealers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread