new here, but now what?

CHEVEN

May 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been intrigued by the past and have wanted a metal detector for some time. I used an old Radio-Shack (i think) m/d a long long time ago (15 years) to find some property line stakes, it didn't take long and I was all over sweeping like a WWII mine-sweeper!! I didn't get rich and didn't find anything more than a few dimes and I think the biggest find was a quarter (yay, ice cream on me) but I did enjoy it . I have since have had a renewed interest in m/d after seeing the digger show (insert cringe here) Yes, I know its probably small part (very small) real, the rest is good TV. But I still like the idea of it. I don't live in an area of any historical significance like Va. or a big city like NY or Chicago, but I still would like to peck around some parks and stuff . What is a decent entry level machine to get for someone starting out? ($300 max +/-) I would want something that I can use in water like a beach line a river bank (not under "under" water) . Also, do you "have" to use the headphones? whats the upside and downside? I have a ear condition ( Ménière's disease) so I am nearly deaf in one ear, it also affects my balance.

Upvote 0

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will tell evrybody the same ace 250 is a great starter detector you can use it anywhere even under water you dont need to have headphones but with your condition its probably a good idea hopefully that helps and happy hunting:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
correction, you can put the ace 250 coil underwater, not the controls, and be careful if you raise the coil higher than the controls water will flow down the shaft into the controls.

Headphones help you hear faint signals you want hear on the external speaker.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a Garrett and never have, but I think for the money the Ace 250 is packed with features. All the folks here on the forum that have one post great results with them. Seems to me that you can't go wrong with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread