New here from Western NY

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Tesoro Silver Umax
Hi, I'm Steve from North Tonawanda, New York. I've been wanting to get into metal detecting for years but other hobbies took up most of my spare time. While I'm doing a ton of research on the purchase of my first detector, I borrowed a friends spare machine to have some fun and get into the "swing of things" The detector is a low end Bounty Hunter. I planted some coins in my yard to practice and get used to it. While I was detecting my planted coins, I had had a hit. I dug down to about 7 inches and found an old relic. I have no idea what it is. Anyway, I really love this new hobby!

Attachments

• P1040564 (Small).JPG
    P1040564 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Awesome find there steve! This hobby will hook you man! I think maybe that is some type of broach...or pin? Does it have a hook on the back or any evidence of iron rusting off? Good luck and welcome to TNET!

~Tom

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice first find! Looks like it has some age to it. 100+ years? Congratulations, and may you find many more interesting things.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Nice car in your avatar. My sister used to have the same one in metalic olive green. I went on my first date in that car. Fun times. That car had the lightest rear end I've ever seen.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Steve nice find just remember you never know whats down there until you DIG !! HH :hello:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remembered all last winter i drove my self crazy !! looking and reading about metal detecting and which machine to get what madeup my mind was You Tube and the thousands of videos you can see about metal detecting and great sites like this one Treasure Net i went E-Bay and got myself a DFX complete detecter with all the goodies only 6 months old and saved hundreds best deal i ever made ,just a thought Jim NY :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 100_0254.jpg
    100_0254.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 345
OP
OP
Ragic

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Tesoro Silver Umax
Thanks everyone! I do think that my back yard find may be a pin or a broach
or a clip for hair. My family has owned the house for over 80 years and I found it not more than 2 feet into the yard at just about 7 inches.
The detector that I borrowed is a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 100. I know it's got very limited ability but I was still surprised to find what I did at that depth. The "broach" is about 2 x 2 inches and really thin brass. I will be out every chance I get. The car in my avatar (68 Cougar) is one of the reasons I have had limited spare time for another hobby. I've been doing car shows and cruise nights for close to 10 years, and while it's a lot of fun, I'd rather scale down the shows and just drive it more so I'll have more time in the field digging history!

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Welcome and "CAUTION", it's a addictive hobby, once you find your 1st silver there's no turning back ! :o

TommNJ

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Welcome aboard. Looking forward to your posts of upcoming finds. :thumbsup: jgas

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
welcome to the madness.
I do believe what you found is a hair clip from around 1940 or so

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread