New here!! Need help identifying!!

ORpointhunter

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
Central Oregon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
8F93AE48-34BF-44DA-8884-8C222B624638.jpeg 2058DF77-DFA0-4D1D-8422-DE707E03A8D3.jpeg
Central Oregon find. Anybody have any info? I’m dying to know what it is!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
use this site,

North American Arrowhead Identification Guide

most PNW points are pretty easy to identify by time period, but there is a lot of style variations that are not very well identified. It is best not to rely on a "name" but rather a general style..."side notch", "expanding stem", "cascade series" etc. the diversity of material is unmatched too. It looks like you have jasper, dacite, chalcedony, carnelian, and maybe obsidian too. that big white one is the oldest one you posted and is a material seen in archaic points but disappears later.

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice finds...definitely enjoyed the pics...keep em' comin'! Btw, welcome to Tnet!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It looks like a Shaniko / Early Stemmed point. The were originally called Early Stemmed, but then I think it was Jim Houge who started calling them Shaniko stemmed for examples found by Ray Snyder near the town of Shaniko in Wasco Co. Oregon. They are basically a medium-sized Late Archaic to Mid-Woodland stemmed point that's commonly found along the Columbia River and it's tributaries (from Washington to central Oregon). The stems are generally squarish and some examples are lightly ground.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep going back to the photos and that is a real nice stemmed point . It looks like a little Scottsbluff to me with those squared shoulders Happy hunting .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread