New Hobby

Dirtyjim

Greenie
Jan 6, 2010
Visalia Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hello to all from Visalia Ca.
I'm just getting started in this new hobby of metal detecting, so far so good I suppose.
First and formost I have to blame Edward, AKA- FCCDFED, He and his Bro-inlaw Mike.They were
both very generous as well as informative in my start up in this hobby. I found one of Edward's post on this
forum while reading and looking for a local member for info. I sent Edward a email asking for info on detectors
and he sent a list of things to consider, On top of that, without having met me he invited me to join him and Mike on a hunt at a local school yard. I didn't own a detector, he brought along his wife's and taught me a few things so that I could enjoy the hunt. He even brought and extra pin pointer, a digger and knee pads for my use. Well needless to say I did have a great time that day.

Since that day I have purchased a used Whites MXT and am learning its secrets little by little. There is a great amount of useful info to be digested both here as well as the many other forums on-line and also on youtube, Whites has a series of videos on the MXT on youtube that was very helpful to me.

With all this being said, I'm concerned about MD'ing solo, So far I'm aware of most of the rules as far as having permission is concerned but in reality your just a sitting duck with headphones on when hunting alone, Any advice on this is welcome. I am actively looking for someone local for backup in this hobby.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share. I have found this forum to be very useful
DirtyJim

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"With all this being said, I'm concerned about MD'ing solo"

:dontknow: :icon_scratch:

I stopped reading here.

Why?

No one is going to bother you but little kids and curious adults.
Just be smart about where you decide to detect.
I would'nt detect with any bloods or crips in the ghetto sir with all due respect.
But, lighten up. Go to a park or ball field and practice recovering/repairing your divits.
When you are confident you leave no trace of you being there go knock on some doors and detect some yards. If your concerned about safety don't you think that would be about as safe as it gets?

Unless they plan on eating you for dinner or something :laughing9: that's your best bet! :icon_thumleft:

I feel way more uncomfortable strolling in our local Asheville NC mall.

Get out and be a good role model for us!

Besides, If your that concerned, join a detecting club. look here. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/clubs/california.htm

Mike

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net. I would have to concur with 4-H, go out and have some fun. If you are hitting the beaches early in the morning, I am sure that you will run into other MD's out there and may make new friends. Other than that I have always hunted alone and that is not by choice. I live in a sparsely populated area, with very few that share this hobby.

OP
OP
D

Dirtyjim

Greenie
Jan 6, 2010
Visalia Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Mike, thanks for your response, I have been hitting the local parks and your right, there was no issue with me being there, I will "lighten up". Also thanks for the link to Kellyco. All much appreciated.

S

stefen

Get yourself a T-shirt with 'Bomb Squad' emblazened on the front and back with the added words...'Please Keep 100 Feet Away'

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. Your first day out was with two great people. You will, in time, develop a sense of where to go and where not to go. For right now, let common sense be your guide. Are you close to an ocean/beach/lake with swimming. Going there will increase your finds, confidence, and experience in different areas. Keep us posted.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirtyjim said:
Mike, thanks for your response, I have been hitting the local parks and your right, there was no issue with me being there, I will "lighten up". Also thanks for the link to Kellyco. All much appreciated.
No problem my friend

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DirtyJim
Glad to see ya finally made it to the forum. This place is a deep deep well of knowledge and Info. It was a pleasure having you go with us that day and I can only hope that we (Ed & Mike) represented the hobby professionally and ethically. We do enjoy getting out and hope that when the weather changes that we can get together again.

All the post above are right on spot with good info, the only thing I can add is that you should try not to get tunnel vision, always try to keep an eye to the surroundings. Several times I have got the hebejebes when I would look up and see someone or thing closer than I expected. It really would be nice to have a third eye in the back of our heads. But seriously I end up hunting by myself most of the time due to Mikes work schedule. In fact there are many days I prefer it.

It was great to see you and meet your wife at the gold show on Saturday.

Happy hunting fccdfed

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
When I first started detecting I was and still am "depending on where Im at" self-concious about who is watching me, but once you start pullin goodies from the ground you get over it real quick! Oh, and That BOMB SQUAD thing is hilairious!

OP
OP
D

Dirtyjim

Greenie
Jan 6, 2010
Visalia Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hi again Ed, Likewise as far as the Gold show Saturday, we did enjoy it, never been to a gold show before. Lots to see 4 sure.
I'm taking in all this advice, I appreciate the response to the post from all. Waiting for a dry day to get back to
digging history 1 pull tab at a time.

S

stefen

Toby1858 said:
When I first started detecting I was and still am "depending on where Im at" self-concious about who is watching me, but once you start pullin goodies from the ground you get over it real quick! Oh, and That BOMB SQUAD thing is hilairious!

Think that is funny...this is really a laugh

Attachments

• 081215-bomb-squad-550.jpg
    081215-bomb-squad-550.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 228

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
4-H mike, I don't know about the rest of the clubs on that club -link you gave, but that list must be REAL out of date. The "Salinas" club, for instance, hasn't existed since the mid 1990s :dontknow:

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• X-Star.jpg
    X-Star.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 162
  • X-Star.jpg
    X-Star.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 160

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out with my 13 year old vampire child last week in a very large outdoor recreation and wildlife conservation area. We were out looking for artifacts, mushrooms, and a very old 'haunted' graveyard that is nestled in the woods about a half mile.
I was walking with my three-pronged rake and had my Lesche look-a-like in a side pocket with the handle sticking out. As we were walking out of the forest, we were approached by three very rough looking guys. All three of them together didn't have a full set of teeth between them. I was waiting for the banjo's to start playing. They were walking behind us a few paces and talking amongst themselves. Just then I hear: "What you got in that pocket there, some kinda 'snake-charmer' or something?"
I calmly removed it by the handle, raised it to the level of my head and slowly spun it about so they could see the glint of the blade all without turning around to look at them. "Naw" I said, "It's just a lil 7 in 1 garden tool." Of course my daughter is oblivious the whole time but as we got the hell out of Dodge I explained to her that I was not comfortable with the situation so that's why I made the decision to show the shiny stainless steel tool with the ominous serrated edge on one side and the razor sharp knife blade on the other.
There is good advice given here by the other posters but always be aware of your surroundings. I detect solo most of the time but I would always welcome another set of eyes, (or serrated edges) every time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread