New Hunter Needs Help With Identification.

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
Hello and thank you in advance. I am a native of NYC while living in Austin for the past few years. I recently began collecting cool looking rocks from my hikes in the Greenbelt. Little did I now I was hiking in some of the most fertile Native American artifact land around.

A friend pointed out an arrowhead I had picked up inadvertently. This began an obsession that has lasted a little over a month as I learn that when in doubt, it is usually limestone!! I also live right on a creek and have been very successful hunting in my own back yard as well. A good friend turned me on to this forum and it has been extremely helpful.

I have a bevy of items that I have yet to show my friends in person and I have no clue about their origin. Any help would be extremely appreciated. I have more pictures but did not want my first post to become a scrapbook of regular old rocks I had mistaken for something else. Once again thank you in advance and best wishes to everyone for a great week ahead!

The guitar pick in the photographs is about as close to one inch as I could find.

Regards,

Jim

Image 1. Is this a fossilized horn or tooth?

Image 2. Is the front object a piece of a petrified rock? Is the upper left image a cutting stone? it has discernible grooves that do not look natural. Finally the upper left object appears to be broken knife or am I daft?

Image 3. Is the front right image some type of shaft? It fits together perfectly. Is the back right image a petrified rock or possibly a fossilized bone? The upper middle image had a hole all the way through. Is this a sinker rock? That question applies to the front left image, too. Finally what is the upper left image? I could see it being a type of bone or just a cool shaped rock.

Image 4-5. What is this rock? It appears to be painted with distinct grooves in what appears to be a man made pattern. The last image is the reverse side of this rock.

Thank you once again and please let me know if I am at least heading in the right direction. Have a great week!!

Attachments

• ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 141.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 141.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 380
  • ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 140.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 140.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 383
  • ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 042.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 042.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 385
  • ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 192.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 192.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 372
  • ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 215.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 215.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 377
  • ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 141.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 141.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 378
  • ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 140.jpg
    ARTIFACTS COLLECTION 140.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 383

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
Hi Nigel,

Since I'm familiar with things found in the Austin area, I'll have a go at your finds.

#1 - may be a pig or deer hoof core. Try to find some images online and compare. As to it being a fossil...maybe; as you know there are still plenty of both animals around. If the bone is "mineralized" and from the Austin area, then it's most likely a Pleistocene age fossil. Do some more research :wink:. A good start is at almost any Austin bookstore:
ARTIFACTS http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-A...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254278692&sr=1-1
FOSSILS http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Fossils-Texas/dp/0877191727.

#2 - The upper left is a chert flake - possibly refuse from the production of an artifact. The stone to the right is not petrified wood. The bottom stone is not an artifact.

#3 - The front right items are some sort of recent refuse; the back right item I can't see well enough to say; the two light colored rocks are likely limestone; the darker rock may be a piece of chalcedony.

#4 & #5 - Most likely a ceramic fragment from an old furnace - hard to tell from the pics.

Hope that helps.

John

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim,do you live on the Bartoncreek greenbelt or Onioncreek greenbelt?,I've found some good ones in various places east and west of the Loop360 bridge,also out in Manor,just east of town,they built a beautiful 18 hole disc golf course in Manor and there's all kinds of rocks,big and small right on the surface,I'm on the N,N east side of Austin,south of Pflugerville,close to Walnutcreek park,PM me some time and we can go rock hunting.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice piece of pottery... MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread