Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good morning everyone,So being new to detecting,I guess I've been so excitedi have been having good finds, Unfortunately I opened my mouth to guy at store,he detect as well but has health issues so can't dig anymore.He apparently must have told someone,the next day someone went to my spot and completely pounded it.When I went yesterday there were multiple areas that had been dug,Is this hobby that cut throat? The land I hunt is private, I spoke with Farmer who hays property yesterday when he was out working,he wasn't impressed with there backfill as they left rocks exposed.I know him personally and he knows it wasn't me.He did say he hopes that doesn't continue or he will deny access.Ugh.Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks
All I will say is Loose Lips Sink Ships
in other words it is always best to not talk to people you do not know well enough to keep their mouths shut about what you have found or where you found it, any more people are ready to get over on everyone else, and when you talk to much about locations you are hunting and show people what you have found, what was done by someone that is to lazy to do their own research, by you talking you allowed what was done to be done, people are to unscrupulous any more.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
Agree. I don't know why (some) people have the idea that if it isn't posted, it's fine to just walk on in. Why isn't the default thinking "If you don't own it, stay off it, unless you're invited" ??
You guys gotta hear this stuff with gold here. I pretty much am a loner on the gold.
These things have all happened.
Farmers fence cut and a small dozer taken in at night to quickly push a small mega rich nugget patch. Llanelly Vic
Same guy took one into a national park reserve and did the same thing. Creswick Vic
Small dozer snuck into Historical reserve. Ararat Vic
Claims at Dunolly, Wanyarra, Moliagul, Tarnagulla in the bush areas most pushed beyond their boundaries. Bush claims virtually banned now because of it.
Several mining companies setting up large scale claims, claiming they lost money, owed thousands to businesses, claim bankruptcy just to start up again under another name and claim holder and do the same thing on several goldfields. Finding a fortune each time. These were from 30 yrs ago not present. (Guys you see or saw on modern shows here are all legit so im not lumping them with those)
How are these ones. One very well known duo went onto claims in WA. They got clothing that fully matched workers from the companies pretending to be working for them.
Another went to the extreme of wearing dark makeup so from a distance he looked Aboriginal, detecting on forbidden Aboriginal land.
Farmers discovering moonlighters have been on the land by huge unfilled holes with expensive breeder bulls breaking their legs in them and breaking axels as they unexpectedly drive over them.
Sad to say the majority here couldn't care less about fences or signs. Id say 80% of guys easy I have met or known, not friends, have moonlighted and or gone into national Forrest's and jumped fences. In the past the majority filled their holes, now days the majority dont.
I would not be surprised in the future to hear gold detecting here gets banned from all state Forest areas with just a select small few areas where its allowed and can be monitored.

OP
OP
A

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
You guys gotta hear this stuff with gold here. I pretty much am a loner on the gold.
These things have all happened.
Farmers fence cut and a small dozer taken in at night to quickly push a small mega rich nugget patch. Llanelly Vic
Same guy took one into a national park reserve and did the same thing. Creswick Vic
Small dozer snuck into Historical reserve. Ararat Vic
Claims at Dunolly, Wanyarra, Moliagul, Tarnagulla in the bush areas most pushed beyond their boundaries. Bush claims virtually banned now because of it.
Several mining companies setting up large scale claims, claiming they lost money, owed thousands to businesses, claim bankruptcy just to start up again under another name and claim holder and do the same thing on several goldfields. Finding a fortune each time. These were from 30 yrs ago not present. (Guys you see or saw on modern shows here are all legit so im not lumping them with those)
How are these ones. One very well known duo went onto claims in WA. They got clothing that fully matched workers from the companies pretending to be working for them.
Another went to the extreme of wearing dark makeup so from a distance he looked Aboriginal, detecting on forbidden Aboriginal land.
Farmers discovering moonlighters have been on the land by huge unfilled holes with expensive breeder bulls breaking their legs in them and breaking axels as they unexpectedly drive over them.
Sad to say the majority here couldn't care less about fences or signs. Id say 80% of guys easy I have met or known, not friends, have moonlighted and or gone into national Forrest's and jumped fences. In the past the majority filled their holes, now days the majority dont.
I would not be surprised in the future to hear gold detecting here gets banned from all state Forest areas with just a select small few areas where its allowed and can be monitored.
Great is a horrible thing,It sure helps unscrupulous people do bad things.ugh.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sad you got someone who detected your area you found.

My suggestion is you can post your finds, but don't tell anyone where you were detecting. There's always a lazy someone just waiting to pick up on a discovery, and go out at night, clearing the area you were working. And they tend to dig nthings up without repairing the dig site.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is you can post your finds, but don't tell anyone where you were detecting. There's always a lazy someone just waiting to pick up on a discovery, and go out at night, clearing the area you were working. And they tend to dig nthings up without repairing the dig site.

A good strategy is to hunt the place to death before posting any of your finds at that spot. I figure if I didn't find all the good stuff after 10 trips to the spot, then anything left is fair game.

OP
OP
A

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
A good strategy is to hunt the place to death before posting any of your finds at that spot. I figure if I didn't find all the good stuff after 10 trips to the spot, then anything left is fair game.
Great advice,Thank you being new to this hobby I have a lot to learn,and everyone here is super helpful 🤠

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly why i hunt with nobody but my Wife, and brothers, and NEVER EVER let anyone local know of a significant find.
That's how I roll and believe. How would you know of a significant find.... believe me you'll know instantly at first glance. I'd take it a step further and include everybody not just anyone local. And if you can't control yourself and want the attention.... be prepared for what you asked for.

OP
OP
A

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
That's how I roll and believe. How would you know of a significant find.... believe me you'll know instantly at first glance. I'd take it a step further and include everybody not just anyone local. And if you can't control yourself and want the attention.... be prepared for what you asked for.
Totally agree,I won't tell anyone anymore except my wife and my dad who's a history buff.I could care less for attention,I would rather fly under the radar 😁

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found sites that had not been hunted by looking for broken brick and pottery and then surveying with the detector. Then I began making good finds at these sites. They were over a mile from the nearest residence or public road, but were overlooked by homes because the sites were in a valley and the homes on surrounding hillsides. Returning to the first few sites few days later, there were MD holes all around. At first I thought that this was just coincidence. But as I hunted more of the sites, it kept happening. There would be no evidence of earlier hunting, I would make a hunt, and a few days later other MDers had been there. It was spooky. Someone was watching me and using me as their finder. I never did see anyone doing it. It detracted a bit from my enjoyment. These sites were on private land, I knew the landowners and had permission. The mystery hunters did not have permission. I had told no one the location of my sites, so there was nothing I could do to prevent the mystery hunting, except to quit finding sites or hunt after dark, I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread