KelsDavidson

Jul 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need helping finding areas to bring my kids to look for arrow heads. I've done a ton research but I can't really find a solid place to look. I have had many finds in Arkansas but it seems New Jersey just isn't as plentiful with artifacts. I'm not asking for secret spots but just help in the general location to look in NO. I'm from Cape May but will to travel no more than 2 hrs. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. May I suggest google earth and look for creeks and waterways and fields where two rivers intersect. I do not know your area but have learned I can narrow the hunt down a lot with these tools.
Good luck in your hunts.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if New Jersey has an Archaeological Society or not but I would look into joining if they do. You could then meet collectors from the state and maybe find some spots to look. You could also take drives out into the country and look for farms next to creeks or rivers and see about getting permission. Just a suggestion, but having your kids with you may get you in easier than without them. If you obtain permission hit the high ridges close to the water sources and out of the flood plain and you should find pieces. Look for Flint, Bone, Shell, Pottery, Burnt Rock, etc. You may see a combo of these items in one field and you might only see some Flint in others. Just look for signs. If you are seeing Flint you will most likely find artifacts. Good luck.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people find them along the bay down in Cape May. I've found them along the Delaware River.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KelsDavidson

Jul 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live 5 minutes from the bay my entire life and have never found one. I know people that have but it was just by luck, there isn't an area to look for them. They just wash up every great once in awhile and people get lucky.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found one at Sunset beach Cape May, where people look for those clear quartz stones called Cape May diamonds. There was an article in the Atlantic City Press a few years ago, it showed what two people had found over the years, beachcombing Cape May I believe. They had all kinds of Indian artifacts found on the beach. You have to look down all the time and not at the bikini wearing sirens that are so distracting. I would search Sunset beach and all the way up to the ferry jetty, plus the ocean side beaches, Indians were supposed to be plentiful in that area as were pirates and what not. If you find a clear quartz stone the size of an egg or bigger you've got a prize there too. Everyone searches the far when so much is near but taken for granted.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grew up in New Jersey
there is many good places in North West parts of state (long drive fron your area)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live 5 minutes from the bay my entire life and have never found one. I know people that have but it was just by luck, there isn't an area to look for them. They just wash up every great once in awhile and people get lucky.

Well, that's my experience on bay shorelines in RI as well. You have to put the time in. Mostly at low tides. Walk lines of rocks that are about the same size as your average point, the rocks on a beach are usually sorted by size in lines paralleling the shore. It may have been easier in Arkansas. Chances are, if Cape May was a good area, and lots of people looked over many years, the finds naturally decrease in frequency. I know most of my beaches are not as good as they once were for that reason. And of course, luck is not the only factor, but luck is always part of the equation just the same. One simply puts the time in until luck strikes. Easy for me to say I guess, I don't know Cape May at all, it might give a point up for every 5 hours walked, or for every 100 hours walked.

OP
OP
K

KelsDavidson

Jul 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a women so the bikini wearing sirens aren't too much of a distraction. Although from time to time I'm might "glimpse". The guys wearing the Speedos are what's distracting. My 8 year old son always asks what happened to the rest of their shorts ����. We have Cape May "diamonds" but they aren't as "special" for us since we l8ve here and grew up around them. We frequent Sunset beach I'm the spring and fall but stay clear of that place in the summer because its always packed with tourists. I, myself, wouldn't mind walking a lot and finding one, but my youngest is 5 and doesn't have that stamina. I need a creek or plowed field so the can sit and sift and not walk as much.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit spots where streams empty out of lakes and where streams intersect...

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd walk the creeks where not only can you find arrowheads, you also stand the chance of finding bottles, stoneware, insulators, petrified wood...

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Welcome. Something I've learn from old- time arrowhead hunters, which can be applied to many things actually....Arrowhead are everywhere you don't look, even in New Jersey. Good luck on your searches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions