New Jersey Beach Regulations

SonofaBEEP

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Central NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am quite new to MDing and bought a Bounty Hunter 1100 with the hopes to comb a few beaches. I'm an avid fisherman, but would absolutely love to take my detector to the beach and start up with this new hobby. However......... I find myself quite spooked by postings of regulations and such and the last thing I need is a fine.

I live in Central New Jersey, but am willing to travel north or south... Can anyone give me and locations, tips or guidlines to avoiding a run-in with the law?

Thanks a lot!

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in Central NJ as well, and been hunting all up and down the coast for years and haven't had any problems with police or otherwise. Then again, 90% of my hunting is done in the Fall and Winter so maybe they are more stringent in the Summer.

It's hard to hunt in the Summer anyway unless you are there very early in the morning ( being a fisherman you would be there anyway !) or later at night ( again...more of a prime time for fishing. I striper fish as well). Too many people on the beach in the Summer, but its better for fresh drops.

I would think you would be able to metal detect without worry about regulations unless specifically posted on a sign prior to entering the beach. You have to remember that some places (like LBI for example) have areas where the beach is private.

JC

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sonofabeep,
As therover stated the beaches are open to detecting unless posted otherwise except for the National Parks which are off limits (such as the Gateway National Recreation Area (Sandy Hook)). Apparently Metal Detecting is not a recreation...lol.

Good luck and happy hunting.
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread