New Jersey Copper find today is a first, including other firsts!!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Jersey Copper-better photos added-find today is a first & other firsts!

jersey1.jpg Jersey2.jpg Not too bad a day today at the old fort! He also sent me better photos just added...Bertie and myself were treated to great weather and many gnats. My first two finds were musket balls which I had never found before. Tiny one and a big smashed one. Then came a large rusty nail. Judging by the head style of it, it definitely came from the fort....so an over 200 year old nail. A piece of a horseshoe found by Bertie was an unexpected find. Decided to go in the thick brush where the fort itself used to be. So many unfilled holes left by archeologists. Phase me not. Bertie kept saying he new there had to be coins there. On the way to the fort site Bertie was discussing with me the oldest coin he had ever found.....a New Jersey Copper. Should have been his fate I think. So, my first Colonial find did turn out to be an 1787 New Jersey Copper...Serpent head variety. Along the land shelf a small, oval-shaped pin I think, minus the clip on the back. Odd looking thing. Looks like it was gold gilded at one time. My first flat button rounded out my finds. Bertie found himself a couple of smashed large musket balls. A good day overall I would say!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 11
OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Georgia/Florida soil sometimes kind to copper

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very impressive finds, and it appears a few firsts for you. Not bad. Quite a good site you have yhere (envyhttp://http://tnet.forumfoundry.com/forums/images/icons/cry.giftnet.forumfoundry.com/forums/images/icons/cry.gif)

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, but it is not a serpent head variety. While the pictures are kind of fuzzy, I think it is a Maris 43-Y but definitely not the 54-K serpent head. If Don in SJ or Ironpatch come along they will verify.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing, NJ copper in Florida. Just think about it, how it is a long trip in a car, how much labor it was to get that coin all the way down there. I find myself thinking how it must of been in those colonial days.

Nice finds Wildwildbill!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, and yes it is not a Serpent head variety, it is a 1787 Maris 43-d, one of the more common varieties found, but in pretty good condition. For my circulation study of the NJ coppers, could you PM me the State and County found in, also if I read correctly if your buddy found one, could I get the State and County his was found in and a photo if possible so I can ID the variety if possible. If this was found in the South and his, then they might be the most southern reported NJ coppers found in my ten year old survey.
Maris 43-d New Jersey Copper
Don

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual, Don is correct, d reverse, not Y! Nice for a dug coin.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice! I wish my coppers came out of the ground like that. That sandy soil down your way drains well.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs at the Fort, it's a good day to have a full meal when hunting leftovers.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking copper!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the coppers

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see that variety in my Whitman red book.....which was how I identified it. The horse head does look like a serpent head

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are over 140 varieties of New Jersey coppers and the Red Book only covers a few major ones. Look at the positioning of the letters in relation to the other devices, and the shape of the plow and shield and you will see the differences. You can trust Don, he REALLY knows his New Jerseys!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see that variety in my Whitman red book.....which was how I identified it. The horse head does look like a serpent head
The Red book is only a guide book, not an attribution of variety book and is just showing some examples of the different varieties of the State Coppers. There are at least 148 varieties of New Jersey coppers. New Jersey Coppers. The 148 number is from coinfacts.com but the latest data says 144 varieties known, with some being delisted as a variety...........
Don

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer state copper in great condition

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread