New Jersey copper....I think!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was actually found about a month ago, in the same field as the 1793 Bermuda copper I found the other day. I had originally thought it was a Hibernia copper, until I gave it a little soak in the peroxide. Not in very good shape, and little to no chance of a date, but still a first for me if it is a New Jersey!!
100_1123.jpg

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shield looks to be about the right size and shape. Hope you can get some better pics!

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
I can't tell by the photo. Any better pic?

Kirk
That's about as good as it gets, the coin is pretty crusty. Shield is pretty visable on my monitor though! I'll play around with the camera and see what happens :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is there is many 1790s trade tokens with shields. Check out the one from Leeds, and Druid head (left side of the page), they are the most common on the page. Diameter and weight may help in excluding it.

http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album135

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one might be a bit better. I'm running with a 6.2 MP kodak. >.<
100_1124.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is rough... just try and match just one letter up, all you need to know.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Problem is there is many 1790s trade tokens with shields. Check out the one from Leeds, and Druid head (left side of the page), they are the most common on the page. Diameter and weight may help in excluding it.

http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album135
That would work too. Sheild does appear if it was solid, not just an outline. I need a scale!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope... just hit me... all you need to do is match the vertical and horizontal lines in the shield. I think that is unique to NJ coppers.

Looking at yours I think... the lines only run vertical and through the entire shield. It's a start. That in itself will eliminate many shield designed coins.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Nope... just hit me... all you need to do is match the vertical and horizontal lines in the shield. I think that is unique to NJ coppers.

Looking at yours I think... the lines only run vertical and through the entire shield. It's a start. That in itself will eliminate many shield designed coins.

Does look like solid vertical lines. Of course the other side is toast, which would likely help out with an ID. At least I can be sure it one I haven't seen before. I cleaned 10 crusty coppers and it was the only one I could see much of anything on!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunthicks said:
Iron Patch said:

Does look like solid vertical lines. Of course the other side is toast, which would likely help out with an ID. At least I can be sure it one I haven't seen before. I cleaned 10 crusty coppers and it was the only one I could see much of anything on!

Considering the shape of the shield and vertical lines I think it probably is a NJ. Don will take a good look at this as well because of his study on where they are found.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, if you could get another straight on shot that is as good in brightness as your angled shot, might be able to see more, I "think" I see the U in UNUM to the top right area. I'm leaning NJ copper, but the illusion of the photo sure looks like vertical lines in top half instead of horizontal. :dontknow:

If it is a NJ, could you PM me the area found in, like since I assume it is Canada, the province would be good enough but if close to something like Lake Erie or a big city, that would be nice. But for the survey, at least the province found in.

Don

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Wow, if you could get another straight on shot that is as good in brightness as your angled shot, might be able to see more, I "think" I see the U in UNUM to the top right area. I'm leaning NJ copper, but the illusion of the photo sure looks like vertical lines in top half instead of horizontal. :dontknow:

If it is a NJ, could you PM me the area found in, like since I assume it is Canada, the province would be good enough but if close to something like Lake Erie or a big city, that would be nice. But for the survey, at least the province found in.

Don
Here's a better straight on pic, and I'll PM you as well. It's a pretty crusty coin all in all.
100_1128.jpg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, odds on favorite it is a NJ although not 100% definite, but until proven otherwise, call it a NJ in my opinion. Nice even shield on that.. I would try to carefully use a wet cotton q-tip around the perimeter and see if any part of a letter becomes visible, One letter is all that would be needed to verify IMHO.............
Congrats on getting one up north, it would be the 10th one reported to be from Canada...

Don

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to be on fire for unique coins your last couple of hunts... I found one a few years back in about the same condition...

Congrats

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
Well, odds on favorite it is a NJ although not 100% definite, but until proven otherwise, call it a NJ in my opinion. Nice even shield on that.. I would try to carefully use a wet cotton q-tip around the perimeter and see if any part of a letter becomes visible, One letter is all that would be needed to verify IMHO.............
Congrats on getting one up north, it would be the 10th one reported to be from Canada...

Don

Looks it to me as well, but I am no expert. Great find!

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Good to see your spending some time trying to ID some of those crusty old coppers you seem to find alot of. I'll bet you have a few suprises, based on what you've posted recently. Its going to be a long winter, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread