May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This land was found by someone I know who's not got a detector yet but is very interested. This is the second farmer has has gain permission for in less than 1 month. He introduced me & then dropped me of to detect whilst he did other jobs.

It was 3 small game strips soon to be planted with maize, just about 2 acres. Not a lot of rubbish so I finished it all in 4.5 hours.

The first strip produced a couple of nice Medieval buckles, nice steady start.
The second strip produced 1 nice tudor button & not much else,,,, until I got a good large signal, flip the first few inches of the lumpy clay over & picked up what I thought to be a piece of scrap. I could hardly believe it when I realised its a Saxon/Viking Stirrup Mount! 1 step & two swings later a hammered! (I broke it trying to straighten it) :tongue3:
The third strip only had a couple of buttons.

The Stirrup Mount is a Class A, Type 1 & if the detail were still there would show strong Sandinavian influence. So its more likely a settled Viking than a Saxon, but eitherway its circa 10th century. Only my second one ever! Very rare in this area 8)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 724
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 721
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 718
Upvote 0

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
Nice finds Cru, the mount is a great find for sure. Pity about the hammered, at least you are honest about it.
But I would have thought that being the professional that you are you should have know better than to do
that! You should really get a spanking. Send my your gf's email address and I will ask her to perform the
task!

What is that next to the broken hammered. Is it solid or hollow? Its one of those rolloed up pieces of copper sheet made into a nail. I find a few from time-time - function unsure.

Shaun7 had a smile on his face most of the day, let along the car journey.

Wasn't bothered about breaking a coin that was bend in Qrter with a split on the bend that went half way to the centre. The cost of Pro involvement would be more than the coins worth. Its just goes in a bag with other plough damaged hammered coins. It was never going in the album as it was a moneyer I already had good example of. If it were one I needed, I would have left it as it is & stuck it in the album 'as is'. This way, I can at least show the land owner both sides. If he wants it, he can have it also.

OK about the half, yea I know many nice coins are split or damaged and just have to go into the grot bag.

Its one of those rolloed up pieces of copper sheet made into a nail. I find a few from time-time - function unsure.
OK, the top, is it open (filled with dirt) or closed?
And is it hollow?
Maybe you could send me a other picture view of it...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
Nice finds Cru, the mount is a great find for sure. Pity about the hammered, at least you are honest about it.
But I would have thought that being the professional that you are you should have know better than to do
that! You should really get a spanking. Send my your gf's email address and I will ask her to perform the
task!

What is that next to the broken hammered. Is it solid or hollow? Its one of those rolloed up pieces of copper sheet made into a nail. I find a few from time-time - function unsure.

Wasn't bothered about breaking a coin that was bend in Qrter with a split on the bend that went half way to the centre. The cost of Pro involvement would be more than the coins worth. Its just goes in a bag with other plough damaged hammered coins. It was never going in the album as it was a moneyer I already had good example of. If it were one I needed, I would have left it as it is & stuck it in the album 'as is'. This way, I can at least show the land owner both sides. If he wants it, he can have it also.

OK about the half, yea I know many nice coins are split or damaged and just have to go into the grot bag.

Its one of those rolloed up pieces of copper sheet made into a nail. I find a few from time-time - function unsure.
And is it hollow?

Its skillfully made & folded so its a closed top, doesn't seem hollow or maybe only slightly

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
task!

And is it hollow?

Its skillfully made & folded so its a closed top, doesn't seem hollow or maybe only slightly
OK, I might have something like it, I was told what it was once but forgot, have to ask again! Dumb me.
Send you a photo of mine tomorrow...

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that next to the broken hammered. Is it solid or hollow? Its one of those rolled up pieces of copper sheet made into a nail. I find a few from time-time - function unsure.

So I'm back again. Here are some photos that I promised yesterday. I am not sure now, your find looks much smaller, maybe too small. I am sure its not a nail, but maybe this will give you a clue. These photos are from something here called zuinigjes. Zuinig in dutch means frugal; sparing; thrifty. Jes on the end of a dutch word just means its small. So its a small thrifty thing. They were used to hold the rest of candles. When a candle was short it would be removed and put into one of these holders. Then used by holding it in the hand, so for instance to go to bed in a dark house.

There are two types that I have seen, one is hollow and with an open hole on the big end and an open hole on the little end.
The other type is open on the small end and closed on the large end, but not flatly close but with a dimple (or dent). A little wax on the dimple and put the candle on it. Used the same way.

These are I think quite a bit larger than what you have, the 2nd (zuinigje 2a/b) measures 65mm x tapering from 27 to 15. Maybe yours was used with a very tiny candle (English are thriftier than Dutch)... I can imagine they were also made with a closed bottom too, why its open on the most I don't know, but then also cheaper to make.

Attachments

• zuinigje 1.JPG
    zuinigje 1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 176
  • zuinigje 2a.JPG
    zuinigje 2a.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 185
  • zuinigje 2b.JPG
    zuinigje 2b.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 165
  • zuinigje 3.JPG
    zuinigje 3.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 173
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
What is that next to the broken hammered. Is it solid or hollow? Its one of those rolled up pieces of copper sheet made into a nail. I find a few from time-time - function unsure.

So I'm back again. Here are some photos that I promised yesterday. I am not sure now, your find looks much smaller, maybe too small. I am sure its not a nail, but maybe this will give you a clue. These photos are from something here called zuinigjes. Zuinig in dutch means frugal; sparing; thrifty. Jes on the end of a dutch word just means its small. So its a small thrifty thing. They were used to hold the rest of candles. When a candle was short it would be removed and put into one of these holders. Then used by holding it in the hand, so for instance to go to bed in a dark house.

There are two types that I have seen, one is hollow and with an open hole on the big end and an open hole on the little end.
The other type is open on the small end and closed on the large end, but not flatly close but with a dimple (or dent). A little wax on the dimple and put the candle on it. Used the same way.

These are I think quite a bit larger than what you have, the 2nd (zuinigje 2a/b) measures 65mm x tapering from 27 to 15. Maybe yours was used with a very tiny candle (English are thriftier than Dutch)... I can imagine they were also made with a closed bottom too, why its open on the most I don't know, but then also cheaper to make.

Interesting, but mine, along with others I have found are definately homemade nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread