New layout SUCKS!!! - from a GOLD (5k+ comments) MEMBER!!!

cereal killer

Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys go into your settings and reset your Time Zones. It defaults to another time Zone when we converted.

Also these 2 tips will help you get started and understand the new layout. It's actually quite easy. First off under the Tnet log look for the "Forums" link. Click that link at it will show you a "birds eye" view of all the sections and subsections. That will help you get familiar with the whole layout. Next up, click the Link next to it labeled "Active Topics." That link will show you all the threads that people have posted in recently, thus Active Topics. It's a great way to see where everyone is posting. Those 2 links will be your best friend. I hope that helps some of you!

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Along with most folks I guess, when I saw the new site I didn't like it. But as I looked around and familiarized myself with it I found that it wasn't that I didn't like it, it was more that I just needed to get comfortable with it. Just like anything else we need to give it time. How many times have you bought a nice new pair of shoes and they just felt different? Not comfortable until we give them time right? I am a person who most definitely hates change but I don't think enough has changed here to make anyone hate it. I come here to see peoples finds and get and try to give some info. I am still able to accomplish that. That's just my take on the situation.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better to have a new layout than no layout at all.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find I get on quicker now. I notice the posting times are wrong, but I figure they will get it set soon. I like how it is easy to read and how the hunts are posted where you can't miss them. All in all, I think it's better.

I see Cereal already mentioned setting your time zone. Unfortunately the old software did everything in GMT -- so no timezones were set. You need to set your timezone here by going to Settings -> General Settings (The settings link up top) -- also make sure you enable DST if you are in a timezone that practices this.

That should correct your timezone.

Everyone knows I have been a big supporter of Treasurenet, I will try to use this new format but it is not going to be easy. I am a member of all the treasure websites, I chose TN over all the others for the ease of navigation and the experts that were here, but ease of navigation is what kept me here, it was simple to see what was posted, who posted it and when it was posted from the forum page. You could quickly scan the "Recent Finds, Beach and fresh Water" or any other of the many forums from their main forum page and pick out what you wanted to see and read, you can't do that now. I could care less about the graphics or the emoticons, it was the ease of navigation that made TreasureNet the best out there....

Dascrow touched on this already. We are always improving the site here. Can you let me know what you used for navigation before? For me, on the forum index, I can scroll down to the Recent Finds, Beach and Fresh water category easy. When I click on that category there is the entire list of posts... sorted by the most recent post. I can see who started the thread, when, who posted last in it and when, and a number of other stats.

Perhaps you used a different method to navigate before and we can re-add that back in. But I need to know what?

cereal killer

Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add to JohnDroids post. Everyone get familiar with the "Forums" link in the top left of the browser (just under the Treasure Net Logo) that will give you a "birds eye" view of ALL the Forum Sections and subsections. You'll quickly learn where all the sections you like to frequent are located. Also use the Active Topics link. That way you can keep up with all the active discussions and hot topics. Active Topics is your best friend :)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Times are good for me, but I had to adjust it in the settings. I assume your time is probably shown as GMT +4 (Azerbaijan), like mine because it changed the forum time to GMT, meaning it is not 4 ahead of PDT, it is 4 ahead of GMT.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
I'm split on my feelings toward the new site. It seems to be faster at start up and page changes for me but I totally dislike the way the posts are shown in Today's Finds. I liked the old format where I could zip down the column showing who started the post to see if there were any new posts by my hunting group. Now you have to read through the whole post title to find the author.
My charter membership is due today but I am not going to re-new until I see how the changes progress. My main use of the charter membership was to use the "live" post feature and I can live without that for a while to see where the admins go with changes.
TNet is still my first choice for forums but not nearly as favored as it used to be.

Dave

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm split on my feelings toward the new site. It seems to be faster at start up and page changes for me but I totally dislike the way the posts are shown in Today's Finds. I liked the old format where I could zip down the column showing who started the post to see if there were any new posts by my hunting group. Now you have to read through the whole post title to find the author.
My charter membership is due today but I am not going to re-new until I see how the changes progress. My main use of the charter membership was to use the "live" post feature and I can live without that for a while to see where the admins go with changes.
TNet is still my first choice for forums but not nearly as favored as it used to be.

Dave

Dave,

We've had a ton of requests to put a column in there showing the thread starter separately. We are working on a template that will show this and the user will be able to choose to see that style or the current style so that way everyone is happy. We should be able to have that completed before mid next week if that's OK.

Keep in mind when you are browsing Today's Finds forum (or any other forum) -- the person that started the thread is listed under the thread title. So it's still listed there, just not in it's own column.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just made a change that hopefully will help until we are able to get the starter in it's own column... here's what I've changed. I've made it bold and italics so it stands out more and is easier to see at a glance.

Attachments

• thread-starter-change.jpg
    thread-starter-change.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 146

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We seem to have a lot of Administrators... more Cheifs than Indians:thumb_down:

SS

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola amigos - at first look, I did not like the new format; now it has been a couple of days, I like it even less. I hope that given time, this will get more like the old format. I don't like being forced to re-learn how to use a web service.
Oroblanco

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are still working on implementing all the features for charter members. You'll notice more things added next week.

What happen to the stats? As a charter member I had access to all the sites stats, I could see how many people registered today, yesteday and all the way back to the start of TN. I could see how many people were on line each day of each month, how many posts were made each day of each month how many new charter members there were each day and so on and this went back to the start of TN. I looked in the archives and theya re not there.

It appears the only stat I do find just tells most users online and only go back to the time the new webpage was loaded.... I used the stats as part of the charter membership drives I did to help support TN......

So when you are finished will I be able to see all of TN stats as before? Stats showed how posts, new posts, how many people logged on each day, total for each month and each year, how many new members, how many new charter members for each day, month and so on......

Will the stats include all the original stats, that showed how TN had grown over the years, or will the stats just start from the day the site was changed.....?

What about the old posts from years gone by, are the pictures still there, when I go to archives, many of the pictures are justs "x"s now, I suspect those were the ones stored on TN, rather than an off site hosting site?

It is very important to get the bookmarks back, not just the feature, but the actual bookmarks I had. I had dozens of mods for detectors and so on there, I will be extremely disappointed if I lost all of those,..... These book marks had pictures showing how to do mods, and where on the circuit boards to make changes....... I did not see any post before the web change that told us the site was being converted to a different format and to back up anything we wanted to keep such as book marks...

When someone asked how to do a mod, all I had to do was paste a hot link to that bookmark and they had all the info they needed and wanted, I did not have to type it all over again each time...

I am not trying to be difficult, I am trying hard to adapt to the new format even though I currently hate it and to continue to suppoert TN as I have the last 6 years...........

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are still working on implementing all the features for charter members. You'll notice more things added next week.

What happen to the stats? As a charter member I had access to all the sites stats, I could see how many people registered today, yesteday and all the way back to the start of TN. I could see how many people were on line each day of each month, how many posts were made each day of each month how many new charter members there were each day and so on and this went back to the start of TN. I looked in the archives and theya re not there.

It appears the only stat I do find just tells most users online and only go back to the time the new webpage was loaded.... I used the stats as part of the charter membership drives I did to help support TN......

So when you are finished will I be able to see all of TN stats as before? Stats showed how posts, new posts, how many people logged on each day, total for each month and each year, how many new members, how many new charter members for each day, month and so on......

Will the stats include all the original stats, that showed how TN had grown over the years, or will the stats just start from the day the site was changed.....?

What about the old posts from years gone by, are the pictures still there, when I go to archives, many of the pictures are justs "x"s now, I suspect those were the ones stored on TN, rather than an off site hosting site?

It is very important to get the bookmarks back, not just the feature, but the actual bookmarks I had. I had dozens of mods for detectors and so on there, I will be extremely disappointed if I lost all of those,..... These book marks had pictures showing how to do mods, and where on the circuit boards to make changes....... I did not see any post before the web change that told us the site was being converted to a different format and to back up anything we wanted to keep such as book marks...

When someone asked how to do a mod, all I had to do was paste a hot link to that bookmark and they had all the info they needed and wanted, I did not have to type it all over again each time...

I am not trying to be difficult, I am trying hard to adapt to the new format even though I currently hate it and to continue to suppoert TN as I have the last 6 years...........

To answer your questions, it is very unlikely the exact stats you are looking for will be available. I'm not 100% sure on that, but 90% sure.

The archives and old posts should all have working pictures, including the ones hosted at TreasureNet. If you are seeing Red X's then something else is wrong. Please link me to a post as an example of where you are seeing red X's.

The bookmarks I am confident that we can get back. They may not work 100% the same on the new software, but we can export a list of your bookmarks so that they are not lost, we can email them to you and then you can add them to a post, your profile, etc... somewhere you can still show them to other members, etc. They will not be "lost" so no worries there.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Yea, just came on to find the new layout...gotta say, I don 't really "dig" it...too hard to navigate around...
Baggins

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
With all this technical expertise, why is it we can not have the old NEW REPLIES function back? Hmm....

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the new format is weird...I think the old format was just fine...maybe could use upgrade in areas but layout was perfect before IMHO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the new skin, it gives you the feel of old TN. On home page lower left, pro is default, try the other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread