New Lost Dutchman Twist

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Just found a book “Arizona Legends”. As per this book more than one person has fond the Lost Dutchman’s mine. First found by a fellow Don Miguel Peralta was after. This man and one of two trackers were killed. As always in these stories. But the one Indian told Miguel what the man found. Don worked the mine and the last trip in took 400 men and mules to load up. As always they got killed also. Then a couple ex army men found gold filed saddle bags. Then some Indians took a doctor in and gave him some gold. He said he saw Weaver’s Needle but no more. Next Waltz got in with Miguel’s son. They took gold out but Miguel being a Mexican from Mexico never came back. After Waltz came a man named Hall that found gold in the area. He named it the Mammoth Mine. Then a man named Lewis found an old mine shaft. Started to work it and broke into the Mammoth so they thought. It was not worth working at the time. Can’t find the Mammoth on a map. Wonder how far from Weavers Needle it is. Any way a slant to the story I never heard before. The book has some good stories.

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mammoth mine is in GoldField......just north east of Apache Junction a couple miles on 88 going towards Canyon Lake, Tortilla Flat, etc Cant see Weavers from that point
I think a least twice a year i run into people that own Mines,Prospects, Claims that claim they have the Dutchmans mine! :laughing9:

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
The book said the a army buried the remains of the 400 that got ambushed. If there are records to that it would sure get one into the right spot and add fact that there was something.

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called the Massacre Grounds ( south east of goldfield )up on the superstitions..........yes human remains have been found there as well as Float in the general area from the mules that were loaded with packs of Gold Ore, when the poop hit the fan mules scattered and people died.
There are a few different stories relating to the Massacre Grounds, of running gun battles with the indians ! Go up there for a hike its an easy one with a trail going straight in from the parking lot (not now wait till it cools off a bit) go far enough and you will see the Needle to the south east a few miles away.
Think you should read allot more books then the one you got as there are so many different accounts of what and where

There are a few resident experts of these stories here on TN.....Im sure they could point you in the right direction for reading materiel

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I think a lot of these old tales are nothing but that, they help the tourism industry and draw people to specific areas that the tales cover, so they live on.

If I were to find something like that, it would not be because I was looking for it, it would be because I had decided to explore a particular area, and just happened upon it. I suppose that probably gives me an equal chance of finding something
as those who listen to the tall tales.

Maybe a few are not bull s&*!, but I think the majority of them probably are, because if they knew that much about them when they occurred, they would have found it then, when the tale first started. Just my humble opinion . . . . for what it is worth.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
last I heard it was illegal to even search for it. did they change that?

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
last I heard it was illegal to even search for it. did they change that?

Its not now nor has ever been illegal to search for it! Now blowing up things in the National Forest to try and uncover it will get ya tossed in jail........but never illegal just searching.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find yourself truly fascinated by everything surrounding the Lost Dutchman Mine, you'll find some tremendous discussions dealing with just about every aspect of the story here:

http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/pb/

Within the stories of the Lost Dutchman Mine and Jacob Waltz there are truths, half truths, legends, and outright lies.

I've been fortunate over the last few years to have met some of the most interesting treasure and history hunters I've ever known out there and have visited to hike and do a little exploring a number of times now. There's a couple generations of "searchers" who've passed on, but there's still a number of people who knew some of them personally and/or who've spent years of their own lives researching the legends.

For the last few years there's been a small get-together of some of those gentlemen at a campsite in the Superstitions where the discussions range from past stories to current discoveries and theories. It's scheduled again for a couple days this October, and if anyone has a desire to come by and meet some of the folks and listen to the stories, drop me a PM and I'll get you the where's and when's.

Who knows - you may get "bit by the bug" like I did a few years ago :)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Paul,

Hope all is well with you and the wife. We seem to be heading for hard times.

Actually, this year will be the fifth gathering since I started the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. Our first year there were only 13 people who attended. That first Rendezvous was one of the best, because of the small numbers. One year we had between 60-70 folks show up.

Last year with the addition of Clay Worst and Bob Corbin, we had a great time with only 35 people making the event. We have had some very well known Dutch Hunters attend, along with some lesser known but very knowledgeable old timers.

Authors like Thomas Glover, Ron and Jesse Feldman, Jack San Felice, Jack Carlson and Jim Wilson have attended the Rendezvous. There have also been a number of soon to be authors who have shown up. Greg Davis, one of the most knowledgeable people, and a prolific collector of all things Dutchman, has been there for all four Rendezvous' and will no doubt be there again this year. There is no author or serious Dutch Hunter who has not benefited from Greg's largess.

Anyone interested in the Superstition Mountains, their legends, and treasure hunting in general, should not miss our fifth gathering. A great knowledge of the Southwest's history is also well represented at the gatherings. That would include Spanish and Native American societies and history. A number of people who attend each of the Rendezvous' are steeped in reading Spanish treasure and trail signs.

The Fifth Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous will be held at the Don's Camp Oct. 23,24 and 25. I hope that many of the members of this site will make the effort to attend. There is no charge for the facility and the gathering is family friendly. It's a great event to bring your kids to. Many ladies have also enjoyed the camp-out.

Tents and RVs can be set up inside the grounds. I have pulled a 26' travel trailer into the site without problems. There are toilets available but no water or electricity. Shade is plentiful.

Looking forward to this year's event and seeing you again. Hope we will see lots of new faces to match the names we are all familiar with.

Take care,

Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe,

I was hoping you might notice this thread and add some comments of your own - thanks.

Things are going ok here although my wife still hasn't found another job yet. She's still being a bit "picky" and trying to find something she really wants to do but she knows come November or so she may have to just settle for whatever she can find.

We've only been on 2 real vacations in the 22 years we've been married - most of our vacation time is always spent visiting family or taking time off while family comes to visit us. Despite it being nice, it's never truly as relaxing as it could be or as what we need sometimes. This year, although the economy isn't the best, we booked a vacation in Barbados for 10 days in September and we're REALLY looking forward to just spending time together and just relaxing on a much needed break!!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the Rendesvouz again this year and I hope to see even more people who up than last time. I had forgotten that this was already the 5th one - man does time fly!

I have only a week to spend this year, but I'm trying to line up as much as I can while I'm there.

Anyways - stay in touch as usual and October is coming up quickly!

Best to you and Carolyn.

Paul

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
I dont really believe that there is this mine; I believe its a coded story for a different treasure.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80's I met a gentleman named Buck Stokes He rode with Tom Mix way back, I think he was 92 at the time He had some great stories about this You can start in the Bradshaws and even throw in the Jesuits if you like The mules were Mexican and the Indians even mined the Gold that the Dutchman found. That Mine is even harder to find then the Dutchman's. But the direction can be found from atop the the old fort outside BumbleBee. trouble is the Cross is gone. Look for the walnut bar (saloon) half way up one of the valleys. That will give you some idea were the cross pointed.

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
onfire said:
Back in the 80's I met a gentleman named Buck Stokes He rode with Tom Mix way back, I think he was 92 at the time He had some great stories about this You can start in the Bradshaws and even throw in the Jesuits if you like The mules were Mexican and the Indians even mined the Gold that the Dutchman found. That Mine is even harder to find then the Dutchman's. But the direction can be found from atop the the old fort outside BumbleBee. trouble is the Cross is gone. Look for the walnut bar (saloon) half way up one of the valleys. That will give you some idea were the cross pointed.
some years back.I was in the same area. I saw a cross on a rock south of fort. But when I got closer i could not locate it

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the very best books about the Lost Dutchman Mine is by Sims Ely:

"The Lost Dutchman Mine - The Fabulous Story of the Seven-Decade Search for the Hidden Treasure in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona."

It will be a bit of an investment as it was first published in 1953, and never made it to paperback.

Mike

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
gollum said:
One of the very best books about the Lost Dutchman Mine is by Sims Ely:

"The Lost Dutchman Mine - The Fabulous Story of the Seven-Decade Search for the Hidden Treasure in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona."

It will be a bit of an investment as it was first published in 1953, and never made it to paperback.

Mike
I have the book.It was reprinted in 1966.I stand wrong the 2nd was printed in 1954. sorry for the mistake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread