Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been dying to take my brand new F75 Special Edition detector to one of my old sites to see what it could do in a heavily hunted iron patch. That opportunity came yesterday, and I made a return trip to the site I hit very hard last winter, and one that had given up a gorgeous 1795 liberty cap cent, a W&M halfpenny, and 6 pieces of colonial silver including a cut hammered coin that my digging buddy Dan recovered along with many buttons and buckles. This site has a heavy duty iron patch which is bisected by a dirt and gravel lane leading to the owner's house. I had hit both sides of it with a vengeance earlier in the year, and it was getting near impossible to get any non-ferrous hits at all. Yesterday I put on the small 5" shooter coil and used the FA mode for fast recovery speed, and was amazed at how the targets began to sing out. I wasn't able to walk over a coin, but a number of early buttons and buckle pieces made their way into my finds pouch. I was also successful hunting the actual roadway which I didn't hit too hard before. It was hard digging there, and I had to use my lesche knife so as not to upset the owner by tearing up her lane. I dug 3 early pewter buttons, one with the long, stand-up shank that I like. And the broken one appears to have some sort of design on the obverse but doubt I'll be able to decipher it. Another interesting find was a nice little silver cuff adornment which was constructed like a rivet instead of a regular cuff link. It has a floral design on one side and a "C" on the other. And I thought it was odd that I dug 3 identical decorative colonial buttons within a 20 ft radius near the driveway. Those had to have come from a discarded piece of clothing. Anyway, I was thrilled that the results of the hunt proved the merit of this new machine, and I can't wait to give it a shot at another of my old sites (or maybe a new one too).

Attachments

• 120314a.jpg
    120314a.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 120314b.jpg
    120314b.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 120314c.jpg
    120314c.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 137
  • 120314d.jpg
    120314d.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 120314e.jpg
    120314e.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 120314f.jpg
    120314f.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 120314g.jpg
    120314g.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 143
  • 120314h.jpg
    120314h.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 120314i.jpg
    120314i.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 120314j.jpg
    120314j.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 120314k.jpg
    120314k.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 120314l.jpg
    120314l.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 17

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great post Bill. Looks like you were successful with this technique and it may be a great way to hunt those tight areas. Wishing you success in the future

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All are great finds. Nice way to break in a detector. Apparently it wants you to keep it, lol.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did very well. Did you get a chance to try the new stand on your new machine?

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of finds Bill. It looks like you have a winner combo with the FA mode and small coil. Were you running at max sensitivity or did you knock it down some?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill what a fantastic and exciting result. I just watched a video of the FAA mode and was blown away. Now that I have the T2 SE and F75 LTD I am beyond psyched that I will have 2 upgraded machines that should kill it under and conditions. Some of those buttons are amazing buddy

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you did very well. Did you get a chance to try the new stand on your new machine?

Yes, I've been using it David. But I had to drill holes through it so I could attach it firmly to the F75 shaft. Otherwise it would move all around. Since the new F75's come with a series of pre-drilled holes just in front of the electronics box, it would be nice if the detector stand came with matching holes as well so it could be snugly secured with a machine screw and wingnut. Just a thought. But I do like it a lot, and wouldn't use my detector without it. It provides much more stability and keeps it out of the mud.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great assortment of finds Bill. It looks like you have a winner combo with the FA mode and small coil. Were you running at max sensitivity or did you knock it down some?

Joey - I've been playing around with that and feel that it's best if I leave the sensitivity maxed out at 99. With the small coil and fast response in FA mode the higher sensitivity is not a problem. Plus, if you turn it down much it impacts depth as well as makes it difficult to hear a target in your hand when sweeping near the coil.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic hunt in my book Bill. Two nice buckles, several nice buttons, and (I'm confused) a silver cuff link with three hearts, and a round silver piece with a C (or are those the same piece?). Hopefully you will be able to hit a lot of your pounded iron patches and pull some nice stuff out.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the new machine definitely sniffed out some great finds! The little silver cuff is very interesting. Would the C be the makers mark? That is really neat that you found 3 identical buttons. Awesome hunt as usual

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good result, looks like that machine will serve you well, I'm loving my new machine as well.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more great finds, nice to go back to old sites with a new machine, sort of makes the site new again!, I really like that silver cuff item, very interesting

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a fantastic hunt in my book Bill. Two nice buckles, several nice buttons, and (I'm confused) a silver cuff link with three hearts, and a round silver piece with a C (or are those the same piece?). Hopefully you will be able to hit a lot of your pounded iron patches and pull some nice stuff out.

Steve - those are from the same piece. You can see a side view of it in the next to last pic.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, the new machine definitely sniffed out some great finds! The little silver cuff is very interesting. Would the C be the makers mark? That is really neat that you found 3 identical buttons. Awesome hunt as usual

Josh - the "C" is probably a personalized mark representing the owner's surname. Unfortunately, that doesn't match up with the last name "Davis" who owned the property in 1802 according to chancery court records.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill what a fantastic and exciting result. I just watched a video of the FAA mode and was blown away. Now that I have the T2 SE and F75 LTD I am beyond psyched that I will have 2 upgraded machines that should kill it under and conditions. Some of those buttons are amazing buddy

Thanks Abe. Can you post or send me a link to that video you mentioned? I'd like to check that out.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Abe. Can you post or send me a link to that video you mentioned? I'd like to check that out.

Hey buddy I just emailed you a link to one of them that shows the FA pretty well. There's a couple others that I will look for after work today. Have a great day

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey buddy I just emailed you a link to one of them that shows the FA pretty well. There's a couple others that I will look for after work today. Have a great day

Thanks man. Getting ready to leave on a road trip to hopefully dig out a colonial pit Joey and I found last week. Wish us luck.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe its a clover and not 3 hearts?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your silver "rivet like" piece is interesting, it evidently was used with something thicker like leather I would think, not footwear, but maybe outerwear? Guess it still could be classified as a cufflink? Overall your relic finds were great and glad you did so well with the setup on your detector......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread