New MD

OP
OP
H

henryblowery

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2005
Oh, and what should I look for in a MD that will be used for nugget hunting? Do I need manualy ajusted ground balancing or is atomatic grand balancing fine? That sort of thing. Thanks agin.
Gray

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I have never used the Garrett model you are interested in and I am afraid it is not a popular model. My machines which I do used to gold hunting are the GS5, GMT and X5.

Steve Herschbachs's gold nugget detector recommendations are in the link below in which the Stinger is menitioned.
http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewthread?forum=2&thread=349

Sounds like you are a candidate for a White's MXT

Good Luck
George

OP
OP
H

henryblowery

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2005
I don't want a genral purpose detector. I want one that was desined spesificly for gold hunting but it would be nice if it would work reasonably well with coins. As for caches thats just wishfull thinking :-\. Thanks for the link.
Gray
edit-after looking at more detectors I think I like the looks of White?s Goldmaster GMT or Fishers Gold Bug 2.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
henryblowery,
if you want a detector for gold, coins and relics then i would strongly suggest a White's MXT. but if you want only a gold detector, what area do you live in is an important question. i have a White's GMT which is strictly gold and love it. only problem is i haven't had time to get out and use the thing. either way i would highly recommend the MXT. if you have any questions on it let me know.

49er

OP
OP
H

henryblowery

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2005
I live in NC and theres not realy any gold nuggets around here so I'm just going to hold off intel I move out
west and by thin they will probably have somthing new out ;D.
Gray

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
Henry,
I have used the gold machines for beach hunting, and they will work for that, but you will also find that they are so sensitive that they will pick up things as small as a pin head. It may drive you nuttie if you try to dig all that stuff. I use a scoop with a 3/8" screen, it will save all the rings, coins ect..only thing that may slip through is a chain and you would probably see that. I have had eight detectors, still have four, all different brands except two, they were the Fisher Bug and the Bug 2, loved both. Very east to operate [at least I think so] good depth for those types of gold machines, and very light. I run a 6" and a 10" elliptical coil. The 6" is great for tight places and the 10" for a little more depth and you can cover more area in the same amount of time. Still have aTesoro a Whites and a Gp3500 Minelab. Not running down any detectors, but I call these types of detectors, crumb machines[Whites-Garrett-Tesoro-Fisher ect, ect..the reason being, they are super sensitive to small gold, but not a lot of depth. This past winter I retrieve 125 nuggets, with my gold bug ll, all were from surface to five or six inches deep. If you want to get serious about nuggetshooting try the GP3500 Minelab. Many nuggets are recovered at two feet or more of depth. They cost a little more but then you get what you pay for. Mine was well over three grand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread